Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older 682. It will fire the lower barrel but not switch to the top barrel. However, if I set the selector to fire the top barrel, it works fine - the bottom sets and fires. I suspect that this is relatively simple to fix, but if anyone has had the problem, I'd like to hear from them before I dive in. Thanks, DR

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
The inertia spring is easy to break. Look at some of the videos on utube there is a good one linked in the Beretta trigger thread. You will see the spring and how to change it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
West,

One question. If the inertia spring is broken why would the selector work top to bottom barrel, but fail when it is bottom barrel to top?

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Sorry I misundyour original message. I had a gun that did that once. It was repaired under warranty as it was almost new. I don't recall the fix but it was minor.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
As I recall nothing was broken. It just needed some fine tuning.
A good cleaning and lube is never a bad idea.

Good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 682 GoldE. Your inertia spring is more than likely broken.
Yes you can manually change barrels using selector even with broken spring.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 682 GoldE. Your inertia spring is more than likely broken.
Yes you can manually change barrels using selector even with broken spring.
MoSheen,

I can understand that you could manually switch barrels. However, my top barrel will switch to the bottom barrel, but the bottom barrel will not switch to the top barrel. I torn down the action yet, but I would expect that a broken inertia spring would prevent the second barrel from firing regardless of which barrel was selected first.

Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
Don't hold this against me, but I think:
Even with the broken inertia spring, the extra recoil from top barrel firing was enough to reset the bottom sear.
A Beretta factory tech guy told me this proves top barrel generates more muzzle flip/felt recoil, at least more enough to reset the sear.

Now this is a fact:
All three 682s I've seen with this EXACT same problem had broken inertia springs.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Take the stock off and you can look and see if the inertia spring is broken
There was a video posted here recently, watch and have a look, the spring is small. You can see it after just removing the stock to have a look.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FYI Another reason for trigger problems ...

Removed the stock and found that two pins were working their way out of the action. They hadn't gone too far and they easily tapped back in place. A previous owner had installed release triggers and the stock had been reworked to accommodate the extra parts. Need to rebuild the stock to keep the pins from moving or find some alternative.

Thanks to all who replied. Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts