Trapshooters Forum banner

Beretta 680/682

2350 Views 15 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  Gulf Coast
I shot one of my older 682s yesterday and was reminded of what a remarkable gun it still is. Attractive, simple, strong, dependable. Are any of the numerous subsequent iterations over the last 30 years actually better guns or are they simply different for marketing purposes? Rich and others who sell new ones obviously can’t be too candid.
Thx
Reactions: Song Dog
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
13,531 Posts
Personally, I see most companies lowering there quality as time goes by. Beretta is no exception to this. Companies today want simple CNC machined shotguns with no hand fitting. Just assemble the parts and ship them out. This keeps there production costs as low as possible.

I've heard from several shooters in the past. Who thought the 686 was Beretta's best designed O/U. Of course this is just their opinion, not mine.

Only Kolar, and Krieghoff have gone to the trouble to perfect, and keep making the same receiver since they started production. Both have had one trigger up-grade over the years. This is how you keep building a quality shotgun for decades and decades. break em all jeff

· Registered
1,342 Posts
M.

Ditto, I'm reminded of your thoughts on the 682 every time shooting targets, solid platform, can take a "licking and keeps on "ticking". Like you, I have always favored the cleaner lines of the 682 over the 690 series. Beretta should have kept the 682 in the line up after intro of the 690's as some of their marketing decisions have never made good sense to me. Beretta has promised extra barrels for the 690 series for years and I've have yet to see any while new shipments of new 682 barrels fly off the shelves. After 20 years, these days clean well taken care of 682's are fewer and fewer other than Rey's safe queens.

· Registered
682 Posts
I just sold my Kolar and bought 3 very clean low round early 682's, one Super Skeet and 2 Super Sports and had money left over. Other than maybe the trigger, I frankly don't feel or see that they are any less quality than my Kolar or the many Krieghoff 32's I have owned.

2 of these are being fitted with factory new 30" Optima barrels. All 3 have new J&P spring kits and trigger conversions by Phillip's. One may be going to Kolar for tubes and a competition trigger setup. I'm using Precision Fit Stocks on all of them.

Brown Wood Air gun Trigger Door

Plant Tree Wood Grass Land lot

Plant Tree Wood Brickwork Trunk

· Registered
1,342 Posts
Too funny. Mark’s had some of the prettiest 682s I’ve ever seen. Looking back, we’ve all regretted selling some of them. Good shooting, Rey
You both share the prettiest 682's (y)

Here's a few more from another 682 thread a few years ago

· Registered
2,224 Posts
Slight differences in receiver width, which might (barely) affect weight. More than anything, it'll mean certain combinations of older/wider receiver/barrels/stock with newer thinner receiver/barrels/stock will look a little awkward. Also, there have been a multitude of choke styles over the years. Beretta stupidly names many of them similarly (Optima, Optima Plus, Optima HP), and some will thread into others, but if shot, can have expensive, barrel-ruining results.
I like the look of the Beretta 682 Gold E except for the functionally shitty fish scale checkering on the wood on most of them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.