Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my young scholastic trap shooters dad's wants to buy one for his son's upcoming birthday. Are the 400 xplor as good as the 303 and 390 models?

S.M.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I shot sporting clays last weekend with a gentleman who had one. He said he has been competing for close to 20 years and his A400 was the best gun he's ever used. We have them at our club for loaners as well. Everyone I see who has one is in love with it. And the kickoff makes it a real pleasure to shoot.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I use my 12 ga. for everything (ducks geese, sporting clays) like it so much I bought the 20 and 28 ga. The gun is bullet proof.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have used my A400 Xtreme for 3 waterfowl seasons. Also have shot many rounds of sporting clays thru it, it has never failed me yet! Hunting in subzero temps, blowing snow, rain and it's always gone boom boom boom when I asked it too! Probably over 1000 rounds thru it. Also the recoil suppression is unreal, 3 1/2s are pleasant to shoot geese with! They've got my vote!

·
Supporting Vendor
10,234 Posts
Cole's does about the best trigger job on those guns, but they are just inherently sloppy by design. A carry over from the a Xtrema guns, which were designed for the sole purpose of field use.

·
Registered
133 Posts
One of my hunting buddy's and I both have A400 Extremes. I think they are great guns. Having said that, neither of our guns will function with 3 1/2" shells. Apparently a pretty common issue.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Scoutmaster....before leaving Florida (SilverDollar); I noticed a good looking Beretta Auto hanging on the wall with Mike of Silver Dollar Guns. Knowing Beretta never made a LEFTY AUTO I said; MIKE what is that gun? Told me it was Berettas new "left handed Auto" The A400 Xplor. It came along home regardless of the fact I own 2 Remie 1100's. I shoot release triggers in my trap guns so decided to sent trigger to Phillips Gunsmithing. Just "punch" out a pin and the trigger is in your hand. Yesterday the trigger arrived and I went to my local gun club to check things out. Never shot this gun before. The trigger was set so close to my Perazzi (80/29) trigger that I can't describe how well it worked. The gun is much lighter and moves faster. Proceeded to break around 15 targets before head lifting started and I think ended with a 22. ( not good for me but..a new lefty auto) The choke in gun is a mod so I left it in. I have a friend who watched and said many were "smoke". It did destroy the targets well. So the A400 lefty auto feels good and I am hoping to shoot some Sporting clays in the future. I can not describe how well the release trigger by Phillips is working!!!!! The recoil is quite mild and I may (?) add some weight to inside of stock. Very fast action. It is early to predict future but I am very pleased with this purchase. I think the young shooter would be very happy with an A400................."run'em"

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kolarpole,

My son and I are "lefty" shotgun shooters are you are. We are both shooting 1100 trap guns and also have lefty 1100's and 870's in 20 gauge for skeet and 5-stand.

And thank you for your critique of the 40 Xplor.

Scoutmaster

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
Shot 3800 rounds in Argentina in 3 days with the same gun. 1 "no fire" and that was a swelled shell. They did clean the gun after each day, but over a 1000 rounds a day.

Easier to clean than a 391, but like Tron says, anytime you have a plastic trigger housing, trigger consistancy may be an issue.

Depends how much you shoot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts