Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again to all.
I've been posting multiple threads asking questions to prepare for the 391 I'm receiving tomorrow.

My next question is on bore diameters. The 12ga 391 I've purchased is an optima bore gun.
At least thats what Pacific Sporting Arms told me, we'll see tomorrow.

It only comes with an IC choke and when looking for additional used chokes online, I've been seeing bore measurements and need more knowledge before buying others.

Are there ways to decipher bore info, is it marked on the barrel, do I have to look it up online using the serial number, or should I just buy optima chokes?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
It is stamped on the barrel.

The measurement they put on it is in millimeters.

From an inches standpoint the optima bore is somewhere around 0.732" might be a little bigger or a little smaller.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Just buy Optima chokes, or wait til you get the gun, to make sure it's not a Mobil choke gun.

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
Many of the Italian made guns have the bore diameter stamped on the barrel in millimeters.

Look for a number like 18.4 or 18.5 or something like that.

Then to get the dimension in inches, divide that number by 25.4

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On to chokes:

After confirming the gun is optima bored, I should just buy optima chokes?

Or only optima chokes with my specific bore measurement listed?

·
Vendor
7,112 Posts
no--optima and optima+ ---

Reactions: K80pro#8

·
Banned
715 Posts
When you pick up the gun have one of the Clerks measure the bore , write it down , then call Briley and have them send you the choke of your choice , that fits that bore !
Knowing the Style of choke your gun was threaded for is really important but the vintage of this gun , dictates it .

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
In this case, you don't need the bore diameter as long as you know it's an Optima, not a Mobil choked gun.
These are Angleport aftermarkets for ~ $50. There are also Trulock & Carlson similarly priced on Ebay, Cole Gunsmithing has Berettas. All are trustworthy with respect to constrictions. Some like the Brileys; I find them less reliable as they sometimes march to their own beat.

BUT .... seriously consider buying from Wally in post #6 ... great guy to deal with.

pull a choke tube and compare the style/location of the threads ....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello again to all.
I've been posting multiple threads asking questions to prepare for the 391 I'm receiving tomorrow.

My next question is on bore diameters. The 12ga 391 I've purchased is an optima bore gun.
At least thats what Pacific Sporting Arms told me, we'll see tomorrow.

It only comes with an IC choke and when looking for additional used chokes online, I've been seeing bore measurements and need more knowledge before buying others.

Are there ways to decipher bore info, is it marked on the barrel, do I have to look it up online using the serial number, or should I just buy optima chokes?
My Urika takes the optima Spectrum choke tubes!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A Cole trigger job is great ... a Cole trigger group is sublime.
I keep hearing good things about a Cole trigger, such as how the slack is taken out.

What trigger pull weight can I expect from a factory trigger?

What crisp pull weight can I expect from a Cole trigger?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts