Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All:
I'm about to purchase a Beretta 391 Urika 2 Sporting.

Any information I should know about the 391?

I know it needs to be cleaned well, but what parts specifically?

Any one know the difference between the Urika 2 from the others?

Mose I know who shoot it can do so successfully with steel base shells like inexpensive Federals and Estates.

Trying to learn as much as I can before my purchase.

This will be used primarily for sporting, but might be shot on a skeet or trap field.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Great guns will will shoot just about anything and are very dependable My one suggestion is invest in a Coles gas valve wrench if you're going to take the gas valve apart when you clean it The two little hook wrenches Beretta sends with the gun don't work that well especially if it's never been taken apart and cleaned

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
The Beretta 391 is my go to gun for Sporting. I bought it new many years ago and it ran like a Timex for quite a few of those years. Then all of a sudden it started giving me fits, there are many threads describing 391 issues. Had the shell lifter bent like a 390, still terrible. Bought a 390 bent lifter from Cole's and it's back to being reliable with no issues at all. I would budget $95.00 for a shell lifter. Shoot it wet and have fun cleaning it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Nothing bad to say about the urika 2. Great reliable durable gun that works.

While they will go s long time between cleanings, I like to clean it more often (every 500-750) because it is easier to clean before things get too burnt on.

As far a cleaning, strip it down, spray / wipe it dow with wD40 which will melt away the carbon, spray with gun scrubber to remove the residual wD40, and the lube with g96 or rem oil, etc. use some steel wool on the rod the gas piston moves along to clean off the burnt on carbon/plastic. Buy a spare gas piston so you can leave one to soak.

Keep the end cap piston lubed and clean. You can clean out the barrel gas ports with a guitar bass string or similar type wire in between full disassembly.

When you take out the trigger group, make sure the safety is on. If the retaining pin falls out, the whole thing can come apart.

If you have cycling problems you can get a bent lifter.

Lots of YouTube vids on cleaning.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I have shot 391's at clay targets for years, and love 'em.

The thing I don't like about the Urika 2 is the fact that it has what I call "fake wood". What I mean by that is that they use a process to "enhance" the look and it is purely a cosmetic fix so that they can use ugly wood.

If you go to do any sanding on a Urika 2 stock, you will see exactly what I mean. As I've said before on this subject, I've seen better looking wood on shipping pallets! I'm not sure if you could ever re-finish one of those stocks and ever get it to look like something. Others may know.

The original Urika 391's all had "real" walnut stocks and what you see is what you get. Not so with the Urika 2.

To my knowledge, mechanically they are identical.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have a couple of them, and my wife shoots one as well. A deep clean is a PITA, but I have never had any trouble out of one of mine, and have rode them hard. The advice on the 0000 steel wood (plus Flitz) on the magazine end rod, and keeping a spare piston given above is spot on.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
The stocks are pretty horrible. I was at Jaqua's several years ago and they just got a shipment of stocks from Beretta, similar to what Cole's offers but not the super high grades. After looking through about eighty boxes this was the best I could find. Pretty nice, but my son has Cole wood on both of his 391's (20 and 12) that is just unbelievable. When my gun first started to hiccup I replaced all of the springs, even sent the bolt to Tron to change the hammer spring. Nothing helped until I installed the 390 shell lifter.
beretta buttstock.jpg
beretta foreend.jpg

·
Registered
369 Posts
Congrats on your purchase ..... great guns for sure.
I shoot mine for sporting and FITASC almost entirely during the winter months.
I shoot a lot ALOT of different shells and it never met a shell it didn't like!
As for lubrication there are as many varied opinions on that topic as members on this site.
I run mine "dry" as my experience is this works best for me. Not totally dry... a couple drops of a light oil in the receiver channel where action slides a drop or two on bolt rails and bolt carrier rails and that's it .... nothing on piston or piston rod. But what works best for you will depend upon conditions you shoot in and ammo u use....so you'll prolly have to experiment what works best for u.
+1 for recommendation from wincm12.... if you have this gun long enough you will have to tear down the gas valve...only challenge here is removing the lock nuts. Cole used to sell a special socket and maybe now sells a tool to do the trick. If whoever sold you the gun threw away those hook wrenches you owe them a debt of gratitude....no human being should have to bear the frustrations of proving these things worthless.
Years ago a machinist friend made me one out of a regular socket. I made the mistake of leaving it unprotected and unattended on my "I'll get to it eventually table" and it went missing after one of my wife's patented tornado cleanings. She never copped to the fact she threw it out....denied it vehemently under oath.....she stated that she would never throw out anything like that...problem is she never knew what "that" was when she pitched it! The case never made it to court as there was only circumstantial evidence with no intent....and now it has gone cold.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Same here GamesGuy, just a whiff of CLP in the receiver channel and it's good to go. My son drew these up in cad and cut them out on a water jet at work. Probably not as good as the socket but they work well.
beretta wrench.jpg

·
Registered
259 Posts
angle porting/ ballistics specialties. Batesville Ar. They are experts on auto beretta , They have special pistons, pinky closers and special wrenches and brushes for cleaning gas systems/valves. I shot a 391 parallel target for several years. These guys really know how to get the most from these guns

·
Registered
229 Posts
I currently own 7 Berreta autos. However, I've had my share of jam-o-matic frustrations with buying a used 391. I still have a 20 gauge with real wood and a 30" barrel that I'll keep.

If I were buying, I'd just buy new, the A400, and get the barrel length, etc correct from the start. That's what I did for my son, new A400 Smurf with 30" barrel, $1,300.

The AL1 to 303 and the 390 all have been terrific. Just not a 391 12 gauge fan.

Last Saturday, I shot with a guy and his 391 Sport with the nickel receiver. He was bragging how great this gun had been over the years. It jammed no less than 20 times. Another guy was shooting his new Beretta A300 Sporter that cost $650? maybe. A300 ran with only one minor glitch. Beretta autos are the best autos but they just aren't reliable enough. After the 390, I view all autos as a one-generation-and-done gun.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I've had my share of jam-o-matic frustrations with buying a used 391. I still have a 20 gauge with real wood and a 30" barrel that I'll keep. If I were buying, I'd just buy new, the A400, and get the barrel length, etc correct from the start.

The AL1 to 303 and the 390 all have been terrific. Just not a 391 12 gauge fan.
I agree with him....now where exactly is this no good 391?? Mine is sooooo bad I need a spare one. You know , just in case mine fails.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So consistent failures to feed are usually fixed with a Cole bent shell lifter as opposed to a new recoil spring?

What would a good schedule for replacing parts be?
(What parts after what round counts.)

·
Registered
66 Posts
+1 on the wood issues, had mine hydro dipped. I too had issues with shells not ejecting properly. Bent lifter did the trick on shell feeding issues. I also sent mine to Tron and had a knock down pin put in place. (A must do). Mine 391 does not like Federal Top Gun ammo, at all. The primers are to hard. Will run on Win AA's all week long with no issues. Still love to shoot it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts