Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
391 with monte carlo stock, on the pattern board it looks like shooting almost 95/5 above the clay.
The coaches with 4H were telling me that my daughter is missing above the target.

The gun came with a 45 42.5 and 40 shims, I have the 45 in it. Is there a practical way to drop the stock further if need be? I assume shims for the front and rear of the stock, who sells?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the info, I found 50/60 and 55/65 at Beretta or Brownells from what Tron is recommending, is there a way to translate Pattern percentage/distribution to mm of drop by a shims?

·
Supporting Vendor
10,124 Posts
Thank you for the info, I found 50/60 and 55/65 at Beretta or Brownells from what Tron is recommending, is there a way to translate Pattern percentage/distribution to mm of drop by a shims?
No, it’s simply trial and error.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, thank you, will get a couple of spacers and try, not real costly.

Did not want to sand on the stock yet, it is going to be handed down to the son sooner or later and was weary about making irreversible changes....

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
Seems the Beretta autos like to shoot high for a lot of folks. The #65 front and rear stock drop shim kit will likely get you where you want to go. This is what I have on most of my Beretta autos, except a #70 set made by Tron on the 400 Parallel Target.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems the Beretta autos like to shoot high for a lot of folks. The #65 front and rear stock drop shim kit will likely get you where you want to go. This is what I have on most of my Beretta autos, except a #70 set made by Tron on the 400 Parallel Target.
Thanks Coach, ok will do, kid is getting frustrated, that gun needs to shoot where she looks, I will get these ordered.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sure she isn’t raising her head?
Not sure I was in the back on the bench watching, she had at least one coach on each side of her up close looking at her shoot, at one time, they had a dollar between the stock and her cheek...…….

·
Registered
479 Posts
A 65 mm spacer will give you a 2.55” drop at heal with a normal sporting stock and a flat rib barrel

Based on your 45mm stock, you will gain .2” inch of drop for each 5mm increase in spacer.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A 65 mm spacer will give you a 2.55” drop at heal with a normal sporting stock and a flat rib barrel

Based on your 45mm stock, you will gain .2” inch of drop for each 5mm increase in spacer.
Very good thank you. Well, a 40mm was in the gun, and I switched it to the available 45, so we have adjusted it .2" that should net a small % change at 35yds, we will hit the pattern board while we wait for the other spacers to arrive.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Tron knows his stuff, he diagnosed my shim size based on a short phone call between us and he was dead on. He does stock work for a living, I would follow his advice and see what happens.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tron knows his stuff, he diagnosed my shim size based on a short phone call between us and he was dead on. He does stock work for a living, I would follow his advice and see what happens.
absolutely, I managed to find two front and two rear spacers at Berettausa, $21(with coupon), they will cover the 50/55/60/65 drops. We will start trying and patterning as soon as they arrive

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Lowering a stock with shims is not the best way to adjust a gun that shoots too high. It changes the pitch and position on the shoulder, and also puts more slant in the stock that could increase recoil to the face. A better solution would be to have Tron install an adjustable comb. That would also allow you to easily fine tune the POI.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lowering a stock with shims is not the best way to adjust a gun that shoots too high. It changes the pitch and position on the shoulder, and also puts more slant in the stock that could increase recoil to the face. A better solution would be to have Tron install an adjustable comb. That would also allow you to easily fine tune the POI.
I agree with you, I think I want to do both, I noticed the recoil pad is above the shoulder, so maybe using a spacer to lower the stock/pad position on the shoulder then an adjustable comb to and adjust POI would be better?

·
Registered
21,433 Posts
I agree with you, I think I want to do both, I noticed the recoil pad is above the shoulder, so maybe using a spacer to lower the stock/pad position on the shoulder then an adjustable comb to and adjust POI would be better?
Find a competent stock fitter instead of flailing around making things worse instead of better. Your child suffers and loses confidence with all these changes that don’t work.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I will ask the 4H coaches tomorrow night, no one in our area that I know of unfortunately, Denver is 250 miles.

Anyone ever use a slightly higher front bead, I have hiviz front sights that go on with a magnet...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts