Trapshooters Forum banner

Beretta 391 problem

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Ammo Guy 
#1 ·
Was shooting at the club tonight and one of the new members was shooting a Beretta 391 Sporting, failed to fire about 3 times then she came off the line and after inspecting the gun we saw that the gas piston housing broke off the barrel.
We cleaned it up a little and looked at the solder joint and it looked ok, no sign of shearing.
Is this a factory only repair or can somebody like Coles do it. Factory barrels are out of stock, she has a 28" Mobile Choke barrel on it now.

#3 ·
She's calling Beretta this morning about the repair, depending on the outcome (cost and time), she may just start looking for another barrel. ACSS has one but it's an Optima barrel and her's is a Mobile choke so either the original forend would have to be opened up a bit, or she will need a new forend as well and that would be getting close to the cost of the gun.

#4 ·
I had the same thing happen to me and there was a custom shotgun barrel shop that is now closed that soldered it back on for me years ago.

I've since shot many thousands of rounds through it, and it's still going strong.

If you find the right person, it CAN be repaired.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

#6 ·
If you can’t get it fixed a 28” will go for less than 30”. Opening up a forend to take an optima bbl is no big deal. I wrap sandpaper around a wood dowel the diameter size of the barrel and after a few minutes of medium grit sanding/checking fit/sanding, it will fit perfectly. I have done this several times. The difference is not very much. An optima forend will also fit a Mobil barrel with a slight gap.

#7 ·
I don't mind sanding a Mobile choke one out to fit an Optima barrel, but I wouldn't want to go the other way, they appear to be somewhat fragile in the design, I have probably had 6 in my shop in the last year to do crack repairs on the rear part of the forearms.

#12 ·
Turns out its a fairly well known problem, parts in the magazine cap seize up and heat and the recoil forces allow the barrel to move a bit and it shears the gas piston housing off the barrel.Once I started researching it on the web a number of instances turned up especially in the early production years, there's even a few thread on here about it.

#13 ·
I was told by a beretta gunsmith to clean, lube and test the spring action in magazine cap as part of routine cleaning The earlier models did not have a stainless steel piston ring and would rust and seize up.

Soak your cap in wd40 or another oil that will dissolve rust. Flip it over on a rag on your bench and press down. The ring should compress. Watch the gunk roll out. Rinse it with gun scrubber and a light lube before reassembly.

#14 ·
you asked me for 30” , which im short on both optima & mobil
BUT - i do have a 28” mobil steprib ( in my opinion , the perfect all around barrel for smaller shooters)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.