Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Used one for 3 years. Never made AA but did well. Just keep it clean so you don't hang up loading the 2nd shot.

John D.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
I watched a guy shoot a round of skeet using a SMLE Enfield rifle in .410 last night. so I don't see why you can't use a 391 successfully for doubles trap.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
I used to, Yes, you can do well if you can keep it running flawlessly. I grew tired of the cleaning and occaisional malfunctions. In a game of perfection, I believed it to be distracting for more than one reason, for me and my squad.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I LOVE my 391 but.... you need mechanical triggers. You are guaranteed the 2nd. Misfire, hangup, etc... is bad news.

Stick with a O/U with mechanical triggers if you are shooting for score.

Shooting for fun... doesn't matter then.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My 391 for sporting would not feed the 2nd shell consistantly, cole gunsmithing replaced the carrier with one from another model and it now appears to work fine, because of this I am now considering buying a beretta 391 parallel target for singles and doubles

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I have been shooting the tekneys 391 for 5 years, had trouble with second shell feed, through some good advise from this web site, Tron in perticular, I got a 390 carrier and had it installed on the 391, problem resolved and now shooting A class doubles.

It ain't the gun!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a 390 that won A class doubles at the Grand about 7 years ago. It has a Moneymaker trigger (very smooth), forcing cone removed, ported and a mercury recoil reducer in the stock and forend. It has been very reliable for doubles. Maybe the 390 carrier loads the second shell better than the 391.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
larry, all. Yes, the carrier was a most aggravating problem with the new (at the time) 391's. I believe that was the solution, replacing with the older carrier, or, a new re-designed one. Once that was taken care of, they worked fine.

Jim C

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Wow....So many complaints about the reliability of the infamous 391...Buy a Browning! I never had to do a damn thing to my Gold to make it reliable! No carrier replacements nothing....13 years without one malfunction should say it all! I do keep me gun clean though....

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Luckyman,

How many rounds would you say have been shot through this Browning weekly and annually?

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Hey Luckyman the Browning is a Beretta 303 clone they purchased the parts from Beretta and called them Brownings I see lots of Browning barrels on Beretta 303's basicaly the same gun.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
The feed problem started with the 391 carrier they made it straight and it did not work very well. The older triggers all had a bent tip on the carrier and 391 guys just put the old carrier on their trigger problem solved. I heard Tron has a jig to bend the carrier on the straight carriers solves the problem. I heated one up and bent it up and it is working very well just not pretty but works fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.