Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Just joined this forum to hopefully get some recommendations.

I bought a used Beretta 390 Gold Mallard about a year ago. I think it's a beautiful gun and it has been flawless so far. Admittedly I have only shot it about 3 or 4 times on wobble. It came with a 24" barrel so perhaps I'll have to stick with skeet and wobble. I'm totally new to clay shooting and shotguns in general. Only firearms experience I have is through the Marine Corps and the Army National Guard.

Anyway, what replacement/upgrade parts should I get for this 390? I don't want to get all crazy with it, I'll probably shoot maybe 2 - 4 times a month so about a maximum of 200 rounds a month. That may increase if I become obsessed with shooting clays. I live near the Quantico Marine Corps base (about 15 minutes away) and there's a shooting club that has skeet/trap. I want to keep and shoot this shotgun forever so I'm thinking about buying another barrel for it and other parts to ensure it lasts for the rest of my life. Thanks

·
Registered
527 Posts
A 28” Mobilchoke barrel would be better suited for the clay targets and hunting. There are a couple of vendors on this site that can hook you up.

If you want to buy extended chokes, get a skeet and light modified from Briley or Carlson’s. Beretta also sells some nice Ported black oxide chokes on their website in IC and Modified. Those 2 chokes will do all you need to get started.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A 28” Mobilchoke barrel would be better suited for the clay targets and hunting. There are a couple of vendors on this site that can hook you up.

If you want to buy extended chokes, get a skeet and light modified from Briley or Carlson’s. Beretta also sells some nice Ported black oxide chokes on their website in IC and Modified. Those 2 chokes will do all you need to get started.
Yeah a new barrel would probably be a good purchase although the 24” hasn’t given me issues so far. Do chokes really matter? All I have right now is a flush IC choke that came with it. Read the chokes don’t really make a huge difference, especially since I’m just shooting for fun.
I’ll probably never do bird hunting, just deer hunting hopefully. From what I’ve read I can shoot slugs without damaging the choke.
The barrels cost about half of what I paid for the gun so it seems a bit ridiculous lol. Although if it makes a huge difference in the balance/swing and longevity then it will be worth it. Thanks

·
Registered
234 Posts
A lot of the internal parts on the 390 are the same as other Beretta gas guns so I expect them to be available for a long time. That being said I keep a spare recoil spring, hammer braces, and a bolt connecting rod on hand. Tron should weigh in on this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A lot of the internal parts on the 390 are the same as other Beretta gas guns so I expect them to be available for a long time. That being said I keep a spare recoil spring, hammer braces, and a bolt connecting rod on hand. Tron should weigh in on this.
Yes, good info. Thank you sir. How did you figure out how to do a full breakdown? I couldn’t find anything specifically for the 390 and I don’t want to mess it up. I was a bit scared shooting it after doing a partial breakdown lol. Thought the first shot would blow up in my face

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Another member/source for 390 barrels or anything in general for your 390 is Wally (acss sign on name here). Great guy and very knowledgeable. Good luck and good shooting, Rey

·
Registered
234 Posts
A gentelman by the name of Seamus wrote a very useful manual on the 300 series Berettas. If you could get your hands on one of those I believe you would have all the information you need. I've been told it is very informative.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A gentelman by the name of Seamus wrote a very useful manual on the 300 series Berettas. If you could get your hands on one of those I believe you would have all the information you need. I've been told it is very informative.
I found some posts and breakdown info from Seamus. Thanks. Not sure why I couldn’t find anything earlier.

·
Vendor
7,420 Posts
i have a 28” barrel sport- mobil choke and oddly , i have a customer looking for a 24” barrel
welcome to contact me

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to the forum. Another member/source for 390 barrels or anything in general for your 390 is Wally (acss sign on name here). Great guy and very knowledgeable. Good luck and good shooting, Rey
So I just search for his name right? I’m starting to feel like I’m going down a rabbit hole and will spend a ton of money on my rarely shot shotgun lol

·
Registered
371 Posts
Wally's phone number is above. Call him, he just offered you a golden parachute. He has chokes too..... He has wood.... He has everything you need.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wally's phone number is above. Call him, he just offered you a golden parachute. He has chokes too..... He has wood.... He has everything you need.
Yep saw that, he posted while I was writing my last message. Thanks

·
Banned
933 Posts
Recoil springs, hammer springs, firing pin and springs, breech bolt, connecting rod and pin, magazine spring and an extra complete piston. These are wear and tear items. If you want new parts try Coles, Midwest Gun Works and Brownells.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have several 390's and love them. You chose a great auto. I change my recoil spring yearly. You can find them at Brownell's for $5-6. I buy several at a time since the shipping costs about the same as a spring. An upgrade I really like is the Briley extended bolt release. Makes closing the bolt much easier if you are shooting a lot. Pretty easy to change out. There are a few youtube video's on it.

I agree that you would probably benefit from a 28" barrel for clays. Although I prefer the 26" for the duck blind. If you can make a trade with your 24" I'd jump on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have several 390's and love them. You chose a great auto. I change my recoil spring yearly. You can find them at Brownell's for $5-6. I buy several at a time since the shipping costs about the same as a spring. An upgrade I really like is the Briley extended bolt release. Makes closing the bolt much easier if you are shooting a lot. Pretty easy to change out. There are a few youtube video's on it.

I agree that you would probably benefit from a 28" barrel for clays. Although I prefer the 26" for the duck blind. If you can make a trade with your 24" I'd jump on it.
Do you think an extended choke would make up some of the difference? Not sure how long they stuck out but I assume may an inch or so.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don’t think I would notice a difference with an extended choke on a 24” barrel.
I usually only use my 24” for quail hunting, but have used it on a few rounds of clays just for kicks. I would bet the more you shoot clays the sooner you will transition into a more serious target gun. The 28” would probably just prolong that transition.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don’t think I would notice a difference with an extended choke on a 24” barrel.
I usually only use my 24” for quail hunting, but have used it on a few rounds of clays just for kicks. I would bet the more you shoot clays the sooner you will transition into a more serious target gun. The 28” would probably just prolong that transition.
I may pick up a 28" barrel for skeet/trap and use the 24" for deer hunting with slugs. I'm definitely not going to buy a target gun. I already have a list of guns I want to buy (ranging from a P365 to a Howa 1500 HCR in 6.5 Creedmoor) so my wife would kill me if I bought another shotgun too lol. Plus if I buy a target shotgun then there would really be no use for my 390. I'm just going to use the 390 for clays and possibly deer hunting indefinitely no matter how well I shoot with it. I just shot some Wobble this past weekend and did pretty good with it, got 23 out of 25 targets so I think it will suffice. Now I just have to figure out how I screwed up those two shots and I should be good lol.
I'll pick up some of those springs you mentioned and the other parts listed above. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
That is fine shooting! We are target shooters as well as hunters and we tend toward longer barrels.Longer sight plane, smoother swing, and easier follow through.That being said.. my 870 28ga has a 25 inch barrel and it is a wand of death but I never go shorter then 26 in my 390's. It is a gun that will last you a life time if you take care of it.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
That is an older gun, but a great semi-auto that will last you a lifetime with proper care.

One of the best things you can do to insure that it keeps working flawlessly is to regularly change the recoil spring, particularly if you are a high volume shooter. Chances are, the spring in your gun is the original factory spring. If it was mine, I would do this ASAP.

This is easy to do and the springs are not that expensive. One of the best ways to keep from breaking parts.

There are videos on how to do this. Just Google it.

I do this with all my Beretta semis, and they are trouble-free.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is fine shooting! We are target shooters as well as hunters and we tend toward longer barrels.Longer sight plane, smoother swing, and easier follow through.That being said.. my 870 28ga has a 25 inch barrel and it is a wand of death but I never go shorter then 26 in my 390's. It is a gun that will last you a life time if you take care of it.
Do you hunt deer with a smooth bore shotgun barrel? I read it's fine to do but just wanted to make absolutely sure before I try it. I have an IC choke in it right now. I know this is the wrong forum for hunting but thought I'd ask a quick deer hunting question instead of making a new thread. Finally got my very first hunting license and just bought a crossbow. Now I need to get a climbing deer stand and hopefully shoot a deer or two on the Marine Corps base this season. I'm a total beginner hunter, born and raised in Hawaii so never had the chance to hunt deer. Kind of embarrassing lol.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts