Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m pretty much an ignoramous when it come to automatics. I recently picked up a very nice 303. My question is it SOP to have to depress the bolt release button on the side of the receiver to load the second shell? Unless I depress the button the follower plate does not allow a shell to be inserted into the magazine. Thanks. Ed

·
Registered
865 Posts
No. Cock it, the bolt handle should stay back. then push the release button to close it.You should now be able to load shells w/o pushing the release button.Don't push the button on the loading ramp. Hope this makes sense.

·
Premium Member
4,251 Posts
Wrong. Many of the 302 and 303 guns did not have the little button on the trigger assembly. In order to load the second shot youhave to depress the release button on the side and that will release the lifter plate. The nice thing is that if you shoot games the bolt will stay open every time you pull it open. Nice option with a release trigger.With the later trigger you have to depress the little button on the lifter to make the bolt stay open. It is just another operation of shooting games.

·
Vendor
7,388 Posts
post a picture of the shell lift carrier and trigger guard ( maybe the spring loaded tab was removed)

·
Vendor
7,388 Posts
F528AA3B-CB20-46A7-B9BB-9D833EA0750C.jpeg

Reactions: Bighoss

·
Vendor
7,388 Posts
does your trigger have the spring loaded tab

·
Vendor
7,388 Posts
not doubting you , but please post picture of trigger

·
Premium Member
4,251 Posts
here is another picture of the small button on the bottom. If your trigger does NOT have this button you will have to press the closer button to release the lifter plate. If it has the button it should allow you to put another shell into the magazine tube

Attachments

·
Vendor
7,388 Posts
pull the bolt back and cock hammer - then take another picture - does tab stick out then further , holding up carrier?
fyi- you have an early model 303 with cutoff lever trigger pin - with lever up , bolt stays open

·
Vendor
7,388 Posts
let the bolt go forward and see if carrier comes up and that tab comes out and holds it up

·
Vendor
7,388 Posts
my lever is down when shooting
3 ways the bolt stays open
1- fire it and no 2nd shell
2- lever is up
3 - tab by carrier is pushed in and carrier drops down

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The tab apparently does not hold the carrier plate up. To insert a shell in the magazine I have to depress the bolt release button, then insert the shell. After inserting the ssecond shell I depress the little tab.

·
Banned
684 Posts
Wrong. Many of the 302 and 303 guns did not have the little button on the trigger assembly. In order to load the second shot youhave to depress the release button on the side and that will release the lifter plate. The nice thing is that if you shoot games the bolt will stay open every time you pull it open. Nice option with a release trigger.With the later trigger you have to depress the little button on the lifter to make the bolt stay open. It is just another operation of shooting games.
Motor doctor you are wrong,every 302 & 303 Beretta came factory equipped with the little button as you have stated in front of the shell carrier.The 302 was the first year of this feature.The earlier a300 - al1 - al2 - & - al3’sand 301’s all required you to hold the bolt release button on the side of the receiver to load shells in the magazine.It is true you and a few others advertise the the older triggers may interchange with the newer models but they are not correct for the later 302-303-304-390-391 or vice versa.The older triggers -pre 302 will not work in the 302 or the first model 303’s because of the side magazine cutoff lever or switch.

·
Vendor
7,388 Posts
take the tab out and see if there is a spring behind it— there is a cross pin to drive out ( look on side , very thin )

29874839-3816-4264-9513-5E34FDC3C9C0.jpeg

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Taking the trigger group out and cocking and uncocking thé hammer, it seems that the little tab is not being pushed out far enough to depress the follower plate to allow free travel of the plate when a shell is inserted into the magazine. That’s why I have to depress the bolt release. The tab is under spring pressure; I can feel it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I never knew what those levers were for....Wally, when you say “lever is down” For normal operation Is that facing towards the barrel (at the 3 o’clock position) or facing back towards the recoil pad (at the 9 o’clock position).

Can you post a pic of the lever position for normal operation, and one using the magazine cutoff?

Also Can that trigger pin be inserted the wrong way, do you need to press the bolt release when inserting the lever into the receiver?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts