Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With lots of time one my hands, I am going through the safe.
Broke down the old 303 I used to shoot.
Replaced the hammer spring, recoil spring, etc. for the first time in maybe 100k rounds. Still at crisp and tight as it was 30 years ago.
What a nice, durable, light weight target smasher that gun is.
I am going to shoot it some.
Anyone else have a favorite, no longer made piece lingering?

·
Registered
418 Posts
The 302 wasn't far behind it. Still have my Dad's, and that's one I'll keep. It still gets used occasionally. My Belgian and Miroku A-5's still get plenty of use in the field.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
A few years back – me with my a303 upland and my boys, one with the a302 we nick-named commando. Came to us painted. Hunted in ground blizzard and 10 degree temps. Not a single failure to function. And we shot a lot of shells in 30+ MPH snow and wind that weekend in ND! So yes I'm a fan.

IMG_9629.JPG
IMG_9570.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
Gotta dig out the 1100 12 ga. 28" full choked field model bought in 1968 to shoot in company trap league. In my first round the night I got it, ran 24 & missed #25! Last year dropped 3 pheasants with it. Tons of memories! Thanks for starting this thread! Needed to cheer up... Best Regards.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A few years back – me with my a303 upland and my boys, one with the a302 we nick-named commando. Came to us painted. Hunted in ground blizzard and 10 degree temps. Not a single failure to function. And we shot a lot of shells in 30+ MPH snow and wind that weekend in ND! So yes I'm a fan.

View attachment 1663177 View attachment 1663179
Great photos! Nice story. They are machines.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Yea ,I think the Beretta 303 was/is a good gun + just the right weight and never went kaputt . Used to have one till I "upgraded" to a 391 trap and then the blue (receiver ) smurf gun . The last 2 I could not sell fast enough . Every so often I dig out a Winchester Mdl. 12oo and I've used the slug barrel to arrest some deer and the other barrel is good to go after the crows . Except it kicks a bit with 3 3/4 dram old duck hunting shells . An other oldie I use ,mostly for wobble Trap is a Remington Mdl 17 made in 1921 . It has a Cuts compensator with a mod. insert ,crushes targets and works like charm

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

View attachment 1663177 View attachment 1663179
Great photos! Nice story. They are machines.
This Sporter came from Wally...Added a forend weight, Kickeez and a Briley bolt release. View attachment 1663245
Nice. What is the Briley bolt release?

·
Ya can't miss with a shotgun
2,671 Posts
The Beretta 303 is one of the greats, for sure. My uncles still have Beretta 301's and 302's in their safe.... Add those to the list of greats, also. The Browning B-80 is another one. I can add a couple more.

Autoloaders these days are junk, for the most part, when compared to the ones mentioned above; cheap looking, crappy plastic inserts on the forearm and stock, plastic forearm caps, enhanced wood on others, lousy checkering, and horrible abstract lines designed into them.... garbage. They may function well, but the build quality and materials are horrendous. While I'm not a fan of the 1100, it may be one of the only ones left without the nouveau garbage attached to it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have been shooting my AL2 for years now without 1 problem. I have a 303 also. I shoot nothing but older Beretta autos, and yes I use a shell catcher.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have been shooting my AL2 for years now without 1 problem. I have a 303 also. I shoot nothing but older Beretta autos, and yes I use a shell catcher.
I also have an AL2 with countless rounds through it. Great guns. Speaking of shell catchers, I have a couple, but does someone make a catcher for these a300 series guns now?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts