Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the good fortune to get a new Beretta 303 in 20 gauge. It is a 1987 DU dinner gun in 3" mag. It works perfectly with all hunting type loads but will not cycle 7/8 ounce shells. Does anyone know if the Winchester 1 ounce heavy trap load will cycle in my gun. I don't want to open the gas port as I want to be able to still use the heavy hunting loads. Any suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
578 Posts
should do fine, if it doesn't work right at first loosen it up with a few rounds and it should start to work fine, mine does with 7/8 loads now. Brad

·
Registered
106 Posts
Dusky, think cleanliness and lubrication. Benellis and Berettas are both finicky if not lubricated properly. Your gun most definitely should cycle 7/8 loads. Good luck and let us know what you find out. Jerry

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
You may check the plastic wedge between stock and receiver and then check the stock tube metal plate inside the stock. It's the plate that determines the drop at the heel and cast. If they're not matched it will cause binding preventing the ejection of light loads. Over tightening of the stock nut on top of the plate will also cause binding preventing ejection.

Surfer

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
TBFA,
You're right, I have to many Beretta's can't remember which has what. I do know know my 303 20 ga sporting has the rear spacer and had enjection problems because of binding. after I thought about it, I remembered the stock had to be inleted to accomodate the highest drop spacer, inletting is what Duskykiller may have to do depending which spacer is in the stock. My 391 sporting clays has both pitch and drop spacers.

Thanks for straightening me out, I need it now and again.............

Surfer

·
Vendor
7,245 Posts
the down side of the older berettas, was the gas port is tuned for specific loads-hvy or lite- and it seems each gun had a personality!

the first 303s we bot- out of 5- 3in field guns only 1 fired lite loads and then only when really clean and oiled sparingly

on your question for 1 oz winchester working-they probably will --for awhile

carbon build up on stem and in ports will eventually slow cycle a lil

unless you are shooting 3in mag shells-i'd open one gas port --or buy a 2 3/4in barrel

wally riebesell

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have the same gun. Drilled out the barrel to shoot 2 3/4" shells. I'm not going to duck hunt with it. Works fine now.
Good Luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts