Trapshooters Forum banner

Bent primer ram on P/W 800+ Hint how to help stop it

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Fishjager 
#1 ·
I recently bent a primer ram on my P/W 800+. Yes, it was operator error. It was caused by the primer not fully seating in the cup on primer assembly. When I was replacing the ram I noticed that the primer rod was not retracting fully. This caused me to investigate why. The answer was dust and powder build up under the base of the head on the rod. Simple solution was to blow out the dust and powder with air. That allowed full seating of the primer in the cup, so that the ram could pass over without catching on the primer, and bending the hook on the ram. Simple maintenance can stop a lot of frustration. Lesson learned.
Blow out this area with air.
You can do it while in the machine
You can get this canned air at Costco.

I hope this helps some one else not to go through some unnecessary problems. Fish

See less See more
#9 ·
Jim Whiz told me this is a common problem. He also said you could bend it back a time or two, but expect it to break.
I bought two of his rams just to have one for a spare. I also bought a solid post from him as well. He said when you change that to rotate the spring so that you have access to the allen head set screw. He said to also leave the allen wrench in when you change it out, so that it is easier to tighten when you are done. Great guy to deal with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.