Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Depends. I'm recoil sensitive. Five years ago, I was unable to distinguish between the recoil from a benelli and a beretta. Now I can--less recoil with the beretta 391 because it is gas operated. Benellis are great guns but quirky in my opinion. My Super black eagle (3 1/2) would handle lighter loads than my Montefeltro (3 inch). Depends on the guns recoil spring and they vary from gun to gun, at least in my experience. I'm happier with the beretta 391 for clays.
YMMV.

·
Registered
713 Posts
For clays I'd go with Beretta or Remington 1100 (softest shooting semi auto IMO). In the field I'm a Benelli man.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
The Benelli is easier to clean, but the Beretta can go a long time between cleaning, so I think it's a non-issue unless you feel you have to clean your
gun every time you shoot it. One of the world's best sporting clays shooter
Anthony Matarese, Jr. , who shot a 391 until recently, said he cleaned his 391 "when I felt the action slowing down."

I used to clean mine twice a year, and it never malfunctioned- though I did run
a brush through the barrel every once in a while.

The 391 is far and away the most popular auto for sporting clays. That should tell you something.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use both a Benelli montefeltro and Beretta 391. If I could pick one I'd probably hit more targets. That said the 391 is a softer shooter, but the Benelli is so ridiculously easy to clean its unreal.

(And yes I clean mine after every range trip, while it may not be necessary its what I've always done and what I always will do)

·
Premium Member
3,068 Posts
I spoke with Beretta rep. at Accokeek. They had been shooting big loads. He said Bonelli users kept wanting to shoot his Beretta.

·
Supporting Vendor
9,960 Posts
If you are breaking clays, the 391 hands down. No comparison what so ever. You will see racks full of Beretta gas guns at any given NSCA shoot (or even ATA or NSSA), but you will be hard pressed to see many Benelli's, at least being used by competitive shooters. There is a reason for that.

The 391 is the ultimate semi-auto!

·
Registered
88 Posts
One thing to think about I had a Beretta loved the gun but the safty is on the front side of the triger not the back like Benelli or a Remington, took it hunting had the gun go off before I was ready not the guns falt, just had shot a gun with a thumb safty or safty behind the triger all of my live but that scared the shit out of me traded it in let than a week for a Benelli that the safty is on the backside of the triger. Just one thing to think about I never did till it happen to me.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Beretta bought Benelli in 2007. That deal also included, Franchi, Sako, Stoeger, Tikka, Uberti, and Burris.

Soon after the acquisition of Benelli, the Beretta A400 was born.

Wayne

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not that it matters but the Beretta family bought Benelli in 2000. The A400 was introduced in 2010. The only resemblence to a Benelli is the rotating bolt head. Nothing else in common.

That deal had nothing to do with Sako, Tikka, or other companies.

Definitely 391 over Benelli for clays.

·
Vendor
7,245 Posts
buy a 303 and join the club of beretta lovers!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts