Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bending A Finished Stock, can it be done? or will the gun need to be refinished? Where exactly is the bend done to cast the toe?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any ideas on where to send a new bt plus to have it bent?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
since I have a factory 4 way adjustable comb are stocks left neutral then?

·
Registered
825 Posts
As a left hand shooter --I have not found a browning with much cast on, let alone any toe in -- checked on bending costs. was much less adding adjustable butt plate and comb

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
In the past, I've had two of mine bent. Neither had to be refinished.
I don't now who is doing that kind of work now.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Most all of the bend happens in the wrist however a true expert can sometimes make small adjustments to the inletting to further move the stock in the direction you'd like it to go.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Why would you have to refinish the gun?
Refinishing is not required
Check out Brownells -Top gunsmith Jack Rowe - video on oil bending a stock -Half way trough the heating prosses -"oopps got to watch the heat the finish is starting to boil " --Any time that much heat is applied no I can guarantee a finish

·
Registered
890 Posts
Another method for stock bending uses infrared lamps. I've done 3 stocks with oil finishes and no refinish required.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I can see or rather understand an oil finished stock being bent without a new finish job. However, I have a hard time believing a fully cured polyurethane or lacquered stock can be bent without the finish showing some type of stress cracking or stretching.
Am I wrong? JT

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Bending A Finished Stock, can it be done? or will the gun need to be refinished? Where exactly is the bend done to cast the toe?
I had my K80 done and they will come back a bit over time. They can also crack around the yoke and inlet. I packed it for Hawaii and when I got there it had cracked. Fixed with dowels and fiberglass. Doesn't matter because it fits like a glove.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Look up steam bending. The most common use is in boat building. I used a steam box once when I built a small boat. You can bend any wood using steam, clamps, and a little time.

·
Sky Buster
4,121 Posts
Another method for stock bending uses infrared lamps. I've done 3 stocks with oil finishes and no refinish required.
I had a so called gunsmith try to bend the stock on my TM-1
years ago. He used infra red lamps. He ended up burning the wood.
He didn't even offer to refinish it. Find one who is qualified. There is
a gunsmith named "Greenwood" who has done many but I don't
have his contact info.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Mark Deprez bent a TM-1 stock for me some years ago using heat lamps. No refinishing needed. After a few years I sold the gun, but the bend was still there. He is in Conesus NY, telephone number 585-346-2425 and still advertises in Trap and Field. He is a nice guy who does quality work.
JEB

·
Registered
132 Posts
since I have a factory 4 way adjustable comb are stocks left neutral then?
I think all the BTs are neutral, at least mine is and my Citori also. Doesn't the adjustable comb do what you need? If not, you can add a pad adjuster for more adjustability.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts