Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After being without power for the last few days and the temperature in N Texas lower than parts of Alaska,and we are still glazed over with ice, I am seriously thinking about buy some real estate down in one of those warmer countries

Anybody have any info they would lie to share about the good part bad part of those two countries? This cold weather really bothers my joints bad

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
12,298 Posts
Costa Rica has Spanish as a native tongue - Belize is English.

There has been quite a bit of concern for violence in Belize - some say crime/drug cartels, others point to corruption (just ask John McAfee).

Costa Rica is your typical South American country... caters to US ex-pats, but it tends to be 'pay as you go.'

My father's best friend loved to travel and invest - he had one hard and fast rule - never buy in a land without the Stars and Stripes flying...

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I hear you after coming back from Asia when I was in the USAF, I swore I would never leave the USA, but as our electorate gets dumber every day, it might be an option

·
Registered
103 Posts
Costa Rica has the longest running democracy in Central America. Which means it's somewhat stable. Very large contingent of retired U.S. military there. It is beautiful.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Panama, have been there several times. Part of the family moved from Houston there 2 years ago. If purchasing real estate (home, condo, etc. for residence) no taxes for 20 years.

US $ is the national currency. Very Capitalistic country - more so than US. When flying in at night, it looks like Dubai. Not much outside of Panama City except on the Pacific for the resorts. Most speak English. We've had a presence there for so long, many Americans just stayed. Not as hot as you would think - last trip was there in the summer - not bad.

Live in maid - $300/mo.

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Might check into Panama, it was 15 here this morning, nuts

·
Premium Member
18,830 Posts
Cat- Are you out of hooch?

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Belize would get a leg up on Costa Rica if you were into fishing and/or diving. How about taking a long vacation to the area and see which fits you the best. You may decide mainland USA is still where you want to be.

·
Banned
3,881 Posts
Cat,

Just consider Florida.

It's 82 here right now.

If you're retired or close, every night is Saturday Night!

Shoot at Flagler, Robinson Ranch, The Silver Dollar yadda, yadda, yadda.

There's a golf course behind every tree.

No sales tax on food and no state income tax.

The Gulf is perfect and the Atlantic is, uh, perfecter.

Just a thought, but you and I both know that any where you go in this world, there are gonna be assholes.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Cat, aren't you in Texas? Enjoy it while you can, it won't last long. It sure beats the hell out of sweating to death! No mosquitoes, no sweating, no buying ice, man it don't get much better than that.

I just came home with a case of beer, and I just stuck it in a snow drift. It will be the perfect temp in a short time. The snow will insulate it from freezing, and yet cool it to the perfect temp.

I will admit this is the first year I've felt the cold (guess I'm getting old), but it still beats July and August. Doing donuts and playing in the snow with the skid steer is a blast. Ditto for the ATV.

It's dark here at 4:30 so that means no late evening mowing grass, picking green beans, sweating. I can spend my nights drinking beer and watching tv instead of doing the fore mentioned! LOL

Winter ain't easy but it sure beats the hell out of spring and summer.

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
We have friends who bought a home in Costa Rica. They have been going there every winter for over 15 years now. They love it there. Good doctors and the health care is dirt cheap

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Charlie, nah still in good shape with the hooch, filtering and bottling 6 gallons as I type, why does everything go to hell when it is the hottest or coldest weather, but I can deal with the heat, but hate the cold

I think we just need to hook up to the 5th wheel ans start out running the $hitty weather

·
Registered
593 Posts
My lawyer just bought a place in Costa Rica. He's retiring down there. Personally, I love the country. Don't buy on the Gulf coast. Too many Hurricanes. Make sure you get a local lawyer to handle the land deals. Boundaries are not clear cut like the U.S. They love Americans. Kim

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Belize? I have an old girlfriend that's been trying to sell a condo in Belize for years. I think she got it in her divorce. At any rate she can't dump it. She does rent it out on occasion.

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am going to do somewhere where it is warm when it is cold here, the last ice storm about convinced me, and they say another in on the way next week, cold hurts my bones too much

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
The link is 15 years old but informative. Be aware that most Central/South American countries allow only long term leases for non-citizens; you can not 'own' the property. Had a ministry partner looking to buy a house in Guatemala and told by a local abogado it's impossible.
Indigenous land claims and confiscation of property is also an increasing problem. Property lines tend to 'migrate' also depending on who happens to be in power/in court at the moment.

BTW: Other than graupel :) no ice in Phoenix and it's predicted to be 78 on Monday.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts