Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need one of you Browning Auto 5 experts help me figure out an Auto 5 20ga. actual worth, or maybe one of you that may be interested. This belongs to my brother. The serial no. is 76Z84934, but the barrel has this no.S 94854. Has a 28" vent rib barrel with mod. choke. And also has light twenty on receiver. Bluing is 98-99%, and wood is 97-98%. Thanks in advance for your help.

David McMillen

·
Registered
33 Posts
By the code Z means receiver is a light weight 20 gauge. I believe gun is Belgium made probably with a flat knob. Barrel should be marked with either Made in Belgium or Made in Japan. Serial numbers for receiver and barrel do not match except on the first A5's made in the early 1920's. Wayne

·
Registered
33 Posts
Pictures would be a great help. Vent rib or plain barrel? Recoil pad or original butt plate? Sounds like a great gun but without pictures or better description, it is hard to place a price.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks, Forgot to reply to your request about receiver # and Barrel #. Have several A5 and none have receiver # and barrel # that match. Perhaps I can bid on your A5. Wayne

·
Registered
318 Posts
Browning Auto-5 Shotguns / H.M. Shirley Jr. & Anthony Vanderlinden

Page 76 regrading serial numbers
Production Year 1976
Code for 20 guage Lt. Wt. 76Z &231RT

Page 100 regarding barrel rings
Regarding the barrels pictures would be helpful. Also the barrel ring should have three drilled holes for weight reduction for the Lt. Wt. model.

Page 103 regarding barrels
1969-1976
Left side is -
BROWNING ARMS COMPANY MORGAN,UTAH & MONTREAL P.Q.
Under the barrel address is - MADE IN BELGIUM followed by proof marks
Right side is -
BROWNING AUTO 5
(choke code)SPECIAL STEEL (guage) SHELLS (size)(barrel length) BROWNING PATENTS

Page 127
Over the production life of the Auto-5, various parts have been numbered to the gun. One of the common misunderstandings is that the same part numbers were numbered from the original production until the number matching was discontinued in 1953. However, parts numbering changed over time.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
I believe I would want around $1K for the gun, if the whole gun is in the same shape the receiver seems to be.

Better pics would help sell it.

BTW, my late model A-5 Light 20 does not have a serial number on the barrel. Trust me, I know these guns and I have LOOKED!

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
The sites have a bunch in the $1500 to $2000 range but are they selling? Your gun is worth $1200 to $1500 IMO. The box adds about $200 and is include in those prices. Jeff ,Life member BCA

1 - 12 of 12 Posts