Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
I always heard of pool hustlers but not trap hustlers. I was at the local gun club recently and I decided to shoot some practice trap and skeet. I got squadded with an older man who was shooting skeet with a Winchester super X skeet gun. I was using my 870 trap gun with a skeet barrel.

Prior to our first round he ask me if I wanted to shoot for quarters to make it interesting? I said sure, and I shot a score of 20 and he had a 16. He asked me to let him try and get his money back and this time I shot a 19 and he shot a score of 14.

He then said do you want to shoot one more round for $10.00? I said that I did not want to take his money from him. He said at least give me chance to win my money back and I agreed to shoot one last round for $10.00.

Let's just say this older man started shooting like Wayne Mayes and started smoking every target with speed and efficiency. He beat me with a score of 25 to my score of 20. I paid him my $10.00 and I told him he really started shooting well. He said depending how much money is on the table he gets more serious with the job at hand.

He then asked me if I wanted to shoot trap for quarters? I said no, I think I learned my lesson. I was watching him shoot trap and sure enough he asked a couple guys if they wanted to shoot for quarters to keep it interesting and on the second round this time he shot like Bonillas.

When the shooting was over he got into his Jeep and drove off. I started talking to the two guys that he shot trap with and they said he shot a score of 15 the first round then they bet him $10.00 each on the second round. They had scores of 23, 22, and he had a score of 24 which they said he dusted one target.

They also thought they were just hustled like myself. I asked the two other trapshooters, who was that masked man as he drove out of the club and they laughed. No more shooting for quarters with people I do not know.

Any of you ever get hustled on the line or hustle another shooter before for quarters or more?
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
That's the classic hustler's scenario. I've had it done to me on a pool table (I lost $20 at a time I really couldn't afford that) and I've seen it done on a golf course.

Those guys are really easy to spot once you've been victimized.

·
Registered
9,696 Posts
Similar Story . Back in "The DAY" there were are lot money shoots (although they called them "meat shoots for some reason) in the mid west ,when I was in the Air Force and stationed in central ILL. Every town with a water tower seemed to have a small trap club. There were a lot of "Sharks" around those parts in those days. We never got into the heavy betting and if the stakes got high we just pulled out. One day (or I should say NIGHT) at one of these small matches an old Country Boy (farmer I think) drove up in an old black pick up. He shot a few of the pot shoots they were having , winning a few ,and losing some. Well ,there were a few ringers that had him picked as a good easy mark, so they asked it he wanted to shoot for a buck a bird from a driven fence post that looked to be about 35 yds. or better from the house. He said " I Reckon I can but ,if you boys don't mind I'd like to CHANGE GUNS". Well ,out comes a old Model 12 that probably hadn't seen any bluing on it since the first world war and sporting a 32 in. barrel ( before then I never knew they EXISTED)! This old guy starts hammering targets like sledge hammer had hit them and. when he drove off ,he had a lot of the "sharks" money in his overall pockets. Moral of the story, be care taking bets from or making bets with strangers!

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Steve:

Now you know better. $10 is a cheap lesson.

While not the same, I have shot enough "games" matches to know to not play certain games where I have no chance of winning. Overall, if the entry fee is $5 or less, I shoot. For $20 or more, I pass. I once paid $5 to shoot in an obscene "3 long" where over 500 previous shooters had failed to break all 3 birds. If no one broke all three birds, the pot carried forward to the next match. The trap gods were with me that day as I soundly broke the first two targets and got a chip off of the third target. Very nice pot. I was using an older 870 with a fixed full choke.

Money won is twice as sweet as money earned. Being hustled is a horrible feeling.

Compared to entry fees at big shoots, $10 is small change.

·
Registered
255 Posts
At our local skeet club, there are some shooters that always wants to make it interesting, fortunately I know them all and I also know that I do not stand a chance.

I have only ever once competed where the prize at the end of the day was money.

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
a welcome addition to your "sex life"............................a $10.00 Hooker!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
I got invited to a "Meat Shoot" one time (40 years ago?). They liked to bring new shooters in and hustle them, so I brought my old 680 Ungun. By the end of the night the guy that bought me was told not to bring me back. Not my fault they weren't very good, and I wasn't a pigeon.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
If the sport is not "interesting" enough that a person needs money to be motivated, he needs to change sports. I shot national match Highpower rifle in several states, state teams and at the Nationals. With the exception of a young woman doctoring her score cards (and she got caught) I never remember anyone cheating. It seems that when someone takes $2.00 out of their wallet, there is a lot of sand bagging, cheating and hard feelings. The marketplace has enough of that garbage, I sure don't want it in my recreation.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
A lot of my wasted youth was working in a pool hall, I could peg a pool hustler,or card shark the minute they walked in the door.
I did love racking 9 ball games, I made more in tips in one night then regular pay for the week.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
In one of the very early Super Bowls, the Minnesota Vikings were playing the Kansas City Chiefs. There was a loud-mouthed kid in school that I couldn't stand, and he was going around telling everybody how the Chiefs were going to win.

I believed there was NO WAY they would beat the Vikings and asked him if he wanted to bet five dollars (a lot of money to a kid back then). I'll never forget the feeling when I had to walk up to the grinning bastard the following Monday at school and hand him the five dollars. Of course, he was running his mouth the whole time.

I couldn't see it at the time, but it was probably one of the best things that ever happened to me. Cured my betting desires for good!

I have no way of knowing for sure, but I believe that this has saved me a whole lot of money and aggravation over the years.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts