Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a trap/skeet gun to start out with my budget is around $1300 - $1500. I have looked at Browning Citori and Berettas, but not sure what would be the best gun and model to get.

Any suggestions or tips would be awesome or any places I could find these type of guns.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Your budget is a little low for an O/U. However, there's a great deal on a Beretta 682 top single combo in the for sale section for $2200. If you buy it and sell the top single barrel for $700 or so, you'd have a very good O/U for $1500.

Or, you could consider a semi-auto like a Remington 1100 Competition Synthetic which has an adjustable stock, interchangeable choke tubes, etc. There is also a good deal on an 1100 sporting clays version that the owner has added an adjustable stock set to and is including a 30" barrel (considered more desirable for trap and sporting) and a 26" barrel (more desirable for skeet) for about $1000, which I think is a pretty good deal.

Not affiliated with either seller.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Look at your local club, or ask fellow trap shooters about buying a used Browning or Beretta. Try and find one with adjustable comb; and or recoil pad or system. Depending on your location I think you will be able to find something well within your budget. I found two Brownings, Citori Gti and an XT both in the $900 range at local gun shops. The auto-loaders are also a good idea like the Rem 1100, and Beretta has a few older models too that can be had under your budget.

Also, if possible, I would say to try out what you think you may like before you purchase. Maybe ask at your local club, or friends that would be willing to let you shoot a round with one of theirs. I tried a few out after I bought a Broadway superposed and I wish I would of done that first. There were several that I tried out, over $3000 used, that I didn't like after I shot them even though they looked great. You wouldn't want to spend all you had and get discouraged right from the get go.

With whatever you get, it can always be fitted with an adjustable comb and recoil pad but that will cost about $175-200 roughly for each, depending on what you get and whoever does the work. It may be the best $ you spend to help with recoil and getting you on target. Good luck!

I am just guessing on the friends part because personally, I would have to learn how to make friends to do this, but I hear that it's possible.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Look at your local club, or ask fellow trap shooters about buying a used Browning or Beretta. Try and find one with adjustable comb; and or recoil pad or system. Depending on your location I think you will be able to find something well within your budget. I found two Brownings, Citori Gti and an XT both in the $900 range at local gun shops. The auto-loaders are also a good idea like the Rem 1100, and Beretta has a few older models too that can be had under your budget.

Also, if possible, I would say to try out what you think you may like before you purchase. Maybe ask at your local club, or friends that would be willing to let you shoot a round with one of theirs. I tried a few out after I bought a Broadway superposed and I wish I would of done that first. There were several that I tried out, over $3000 used, that I didn't like after I shot them even though they looked great. You wouldn't want to spend all you had and get discouraged right from the get go.

With whatever you get, it can always be fitted with an adjustable comb and recoil pad but that will cost about $175-200 roughly for each, depending on what you get and whoever does the work. It may be the best $ you spend to help with recoil and getting you on target. Good luck!

I am just guessing on the friends part because personally, I would have to learn how to make friends to do this, but I hear that it's possible.
It it possible later on to get a new rib for the gun to?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
It it possible later on to get a new rib for the gun to?
Anything is possible for the most part, just takes $$. A new rib can get expensive depending how it's attached. If it's silver-soldered to begin with and you want to change it out, you will first have to find a suitable replacement rib, and then find a competent gun smith to replace it, usually in the $450 range for something like that with silver solder and re-blue. Silver-soldered ribs will require the barrels to be re-blued after the silver solder job. Art's gunshop is top notch for Brownings.

If you buy something that has an adjustable rib system, it may be easy to change out or just adjust. Try and find something you think you will like to start with and something you can easily sell again if you don't. And remember if you get 80-90% back of what you paid, that's doing really well. It's easy to buy something but not always easy to sell.

Shotguns are addicting as well as trap, clays, and/or skeet. Start out with one and you'll probably have 2 more by next year. I have 3 autoloaders, two pumps, one O/U currently, and looking at a Montefeltro and a browning 725 trap. I think I "need" one more.

What I really need is to fix the transmission for the car ($1200-1800), need a new clutch in the truck, $700, and the new washer/dryer, but heck the Montefeltro is only $950 on sale!

Before getting all caught up into future mods, go try out a few models... You may not even like what you think you want. It takes a little bit of experimenting to get it right and I think I speak for most that you probably will buy something else after a little while.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
$1,500 should get you a pretty nice Miroku-Browning and if you look hard enough a decent Beretta. Check out Winchester 101's, too.

·
Registered
10,165 Posts
1500 could get you a good used Citori (older style) .Also a used Win. 101 or Miroku .--My Miroku cost me an even grand in excellent condition.. There are a few older Browning Broadways available for that price (lot of gun for the money), Keep an eye on Jaqua's fine Guns web site or check out Guns Internation from time to time.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I am looking to get a trap/skeet gun to start out with my budget is around $1300 - $1500. I have looked at Browning Citori and Berettas, but not sure what would be the best gun and model to get.

Any suggestions or tips would be awesome or any places I could find these type of guns.
Where are you located? I have a Citori Lightening sporting clays o/u i have not used in years

Where are you located? I have a Citori that might fit your needs.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
If you can stretch your budget just a bit, the Browning Crossover Target over and under would be perfect for your needs. I have seen them listed on gunbroker for $1650. new. One with a 30 inch barrel might be the way to go. JM

·
Banned
848 Posts
I would look for the gun the fits you the best! Here are some of the options (buy used to save money): Beretta Silver Pigeon 1, Browning Crossover Target, Browning Citori, Winchester 101...

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
An early used Browning Citori should be in your price range but probably will have fixed chokes unless someone had aftermarket units installed. Normally a early Citori would be choked modified and full and is good for trap but to tight for skeet and sporting clays. A BC Miroku trap o/u can be had in the $700 to 900 price range and will also have fixed chokes. You may as mortum suggested find later model Browning's and Beretta's at the top of your price range or a few hundred over your target price but they should come with screw in chokes allowing the versatility you're looking for.

Surfer

·
Registered
775 Posts
Browning Citori Trap O/U! Last year I paid $850 for a an older used 32" with fixed chokes that had some wood wear here on this website. It is mechanically sound and a great shooter on the "cheap". Plenty out there. With a little patience, you'll find one. Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts