Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandson 11 years old and small for his age...4' 10" and about 80 lbs. I want to get him into trapshooting.
Looking for recommendations on a good gun to get him started.
My first thought was 20ga autoloader...........thoughts please. Thanks!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I start my kids with a 1100 in 28 gauge with a 26" barrel and cut down stock (13" LOP). I put on Limbsaver butt pad and Kick-ez cheek pad. The next gun I move them to is a 390 Beretta in 20 gauge. It is a Youth model with a shortened LOP. I completely agree that you need to move them to a 12 gauge ASAP. The problem with a 12 is not just the kick but the weight of the gun. Everyone seems to focus of the kick and forget about the bad form the kids use to hold the 12 up. They tend to lean back because of the weight. I want them to lean slightly forward.
Currently my 12 year old daughter is shooting the 390 and my 9 year old son is shooting the 1100 28g. I really want to move my daughter to a 12 g. but will probably give it one more year. I hope this helps you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I start my kids with a 1100 in 28 gauge with a 26" barrel and cut down stock (13" LOP). I put on Limbsaver butt pad and Kick-ez cheek pad. The next gun I move them to is a 390 Beretta in 20 gauge. It is a Youth model with a shortened LOP. I completely agree that you need to move them to a 12 gauge ASAP. The problem with a 12 is not just the kick but the weight of the gun. Everyone seems to focus of the kick and forget about the bad form the kids use to hold the 12 up. They tend to lean back because of the weight. I want them to lean slightly forward.
Currently my 12 year old daughter is shooting the 390 and my 9 year old son is shooting the 1100 28g. I really want to move my daughter to a 12 g. but will probably give it one more year. I hope this helps you!
Thank you!

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Look at the Beretta a300 ultima. Comes in 12 and 20 gauge. I bought a 20 for my grandson, comes with the kick off system. Also has an extra recoil pad. Take off the kickoff and install spare pad. This makes it a shorter stock for youth. Best of both worlds sort of.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Another option may be to let him grow another couple years shooting other venues, then introduce him into trapshooting when he may be of size to not be recoil offended and loose interest?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Another vote for a bt 99 micro. My step daughter tried several different guns and is about the same size. The micro fit her really well and the added weight helped smooth her swing and her scores showed a big improvement also. Like stated 7/8 or 1 ounce loads and he'll do great.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I would suggest getting a gun that can be used for trap, not so much a trap gun. A single barrel trap gun can't be used for the other clay sports that are becoming ever more popular and in a likelihood something your grandson will want to try.

I think you are on the right track with an autoloader but I'd stick to 12 gauge. The Beretta A300 Outlander Synthetic is a good starting point. Highly adjustable for length of pull as your grandson grows, fairly inexpensive and handles light 12G loads fine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Any of the 28 ga autoloaders and trim the stock to fit

zero recoil. And as he grows just life spacers into the stock He canreplace the stock when he’s grown and shoot this for decades. Fist on the trap field then in the field

·
Registered
54 Posts
we also skipped righ to a 12ga at 10 yrs. old Used some International Loads (7/8 oz). most of the time it didnt even cycle the gun (until he got a bit heavier).
My son shot a benelli m2 and we bought the smaller recoil pad to get the LOP down to 13.5. put the original back on in a couple years.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts