Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
The only problem I had with Murphs post is letting the pup ride in his lap. My soon to be three year old lab knows the back seat is hers.

That is the only thing my pup has to deal with that isn't fun but it saves trying to handle dirt roads with 65lbs in my lap. My dad's one complaint about several incredibly good bird dogs was that he started them wrong, that is let them be lap dogs as pups.

Lily my lab, has recovered many doves because she just happened to be exploring heavy brush right where and when a dove fell in.

Al

Reactions: murphranch

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Bean sounds special, not many come along like that.
I had an English Setter , Trapper's Oneeyed Jack, and Jack was a great dog. He learned to back in one day after about 3 points. Would point with a quail in his mouth while retrieving. I could tell him to whoa in the back yard, he would just stop and become staunch like on point. Unfortunately, I was at KY State Trapshoot and I got a call, Jack was dead. He wasn't gun-shy but fireworks terrified him and he got caught in a gate. I'm still not over it >10 years.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Murph,
Sounds as if Bean and you have bonded, your buddy may never see the same achievements from this pup that you have! When he returns for her, tell him you might let him have a pup of hers! (If he pays for the stud breeding!)
Research into bloodlines for quality dogs to achieve what you want doesn't just fall into your lap. That is what caused him to go to Maine. And his efforts have shown!
My best buddies are Shorthairs!
DB OH

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
And I thought my sister was nuts driving to Kentucky to get a Schnauzer pup for $2,500.
Got my 1st Lab for $50 in 1975. 2nd Lab was $250 about 15 years later. Both were AKC registered and from hunting stock.
I miss those little girls. I did enjoy Murph's story, dog should be a good one.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts