Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beretta 690 Sporting with mid bead and orange colored bead at the end. Took em off today. Lets hear it both good and bad. Who use's their beads and who takes em off. By the way I shot better today without them but its only been one day. I'm a newbie and not afraid to try something new until I find my grove.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I only use the beads in the gun mounted games as an alignment check. I don't consciously see the bead or barrel during the swing and shot. In shooting gun down I've lost the bead and not noticed until going back to trap. Not everyone shoots that way though. Likely as many opinions on having one as what color it should be.

·
Registered
544 Posts
If you do not know where the bead is in relation to the target, its tough to hit the clay. If beads are not necessary, then you should shoot as good at night as during the day.
My only adjustment to that statement would be that the relationship many shooters use is the bird barrel relationship. Fine alignment of the bird and bead, or barrel for that matter, will result in slowing or stopping the swing as soon as the eye tries to focus on the bead. Point a shotgun, aim a rifle.

From where you are right now, pick out something across the room and point at it with your finger. Now close your non dominant eye. You're pointing exactly at what you picked out. No bead necessary. As you gain experience your shotgun will become an extension of your finger.

·
Banned
7,664 Posts
All different beads I've tried, I like small ivory or small brass front bead, or no bead. Anything brighter than the target will distract me.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
If you shoot better without the beads leave them off.

I like my front bead. I see it in my peripheral when I pull the trigger.

Remember there is more than one way to shoot clay targets successfully.

When someone tells you there is only one way to shoot a clay run other way.

Its all Good

West
AAA27AA

·
Registered
280 Posts
Like others have said I only use the bead to check if I mount the gun correctly/if I am canting the gun. Top shooters will tell you when shooting all you should focus on is the target not your barrels. So large high viz sights will ultimately hurt you more than help you in clay targets. If anything I would switch to an ivory sight/black sight or if you can shoot with no sights go for it!

Good luck and break them all!

·
Registered
371 Posts
In my opinion, all of the clay target games require a level of precision that requires some conscious knowledge of muzzle position. Do I see the gun shooting at grouse or quail in the brush=No. I definitely see it shooting trap, skeet, and 95% of sporting targets.

Its all about balance, 90% of my focus is on the target, but I do see the gun. I think a small white bead is the best.

·
Banned
890 Posts
I don't get it that you need to check your barrel alignment. Unless you are relatively new shooters gun mount and alignment should be automatic. When I mount the gun if it feels right it is right. Beads are useless to me. I only look at the bird.

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
I shoot a gun with electronically controlled beads. When I mount the gun
I check the bead alignment. When I say pull the beads are electronically
retracted into the rib. When the gun fires the beads reappear. HMB

·
Premium Member
11,989 Posts
If the gun fit is correct (i.e., your head rests perfectly for barrel alignment each and every time you mount the gun), then beads are not really needed.

With beads you risk 'barrel checking' as you follow the target as you prepare to fire.

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
Beretta 690 Sporting with mid bead and orange colored bead at the end. Took em off today. Lets hear it both good and bad. Who use's their beads and who takes em off. By the way I shot better today without them but its only been one day. I'm a newbie and not afraid to try something new until I find my grove.
Shoot it. Enjoy it and tell us how it works out for you.

·
Supporting Vendor
9,752 Posts
There's a certain instructor in my area and I can always tell who he's worked with because the first thing that the guy does is tell them to remove their beads. While he's a great shooter, I have yet to see anyone else that shoots super great without beads. I don't get it, aint gonna get it and never will get it. You need a reference marker for gun fit because things can and do change.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Play with the scenario now but you will want to place a small non obtrusive reference on the end to fully perfect your performance.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I only use the beads as an alignment check when I first put up the gun for trapshooting. After that I look at the target. But if you mount your gun correctly every time you probably don't need the beads

1 - 20 of 99 Posts