Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Premium Member
6,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you age things don't work as good as they did in younger days.
After years of shooting guns that didn't quite fit it has became engrained to mount and check beads to make sure everything is lined up.
I have recently noticed that if I skip the bead check and stay focused out to the zone where the targets appear I have better visual acuity for handicap.
It doesn't make any difference for singles or doubles.
Is it just me ?
Henry

· Registered
36,787 Posts
Yes, seems easier to pull focus from middle of field, back to the bird when it appears. Another thing is taking more time on pre-shot routine, check beads, look past the house and take a *couple seconds to let your eyes refocus forward.

*edited to appease someone who is too literal.

· Registered
36,787 Posts
Waiting a moment for refocus makes sense but 5 seconds is a long time after already going through your previous routine and could disrupt squad timing.
Oh God help me stay sane.

I was speaking figuratively.

For some people, five seconds is 5 seconds, some it is 7-10 others it is 2.3131 seconds.

I’ll change my post to a few seconds so you are not upset with my colloquial use of time.

· Super Moderator
Perazzi MX10RS 32/34 Combo w/Allor tuned barrels, K80 Parcours 32"
3,737 Posts
Waiting a moment for refocus makes sense but 5 seconds is a long time after already going through your previous routine and could disrupt squad timing.

Squad timing is a myth that results in lost targets if you get caught up in it. Especially in shoot offs.

I'm not espousing exceedingly long pauses, but you need to learn to cope with it.

· Premium Member
8,256 Posts

As you age things don't work as good as they did in younger days.
After years of shooting guns that didn't quite fit it has became engrained to mount and check beads to make sure everything is lined up.
I have recently noticed that if I skip the bead check and stay focused out to the zone where the targets appear I have better visual acuity for handicap.
It doesn't make any difference for singles or doubles.
Is it just me ?
Henry

Quite probable.

Human eyes cannot focus at a close object and then immediately focus at a far objective. Age will increase the time lapse necessary between the two.

I think your fooling yourself about singles and doubles. It's just seems easier to get away with it.

Beads should be observed only in your peripheral vision and never viewed straight on before calling a target.

· Registered
2,877 Posts
Not sure what yardage you are shooting from, but the farther back you go, the sooner you are able to see the bird leave the house.
A friend of mine, past Olympian, was told exactly how long it takes gorgeous her eyes to refocus from short distance to optimal distance. Hers was like 3.4 seconds when she was shooting 10 years ago.
She pauses,now about that long.

· Registered
3,354 Posts
I like shooting on a squad where things move along, but like harv said, you're gonna have problems in shoot offs if you get to hung up on it. Twice in the clay target championship I was on a shoot off squad with shooters that took ages to call for a bird. Its unfortunately sometimes part of the game.

· Premium Member
6,119 Posts
No.

As you age your eye's ability to quickly change focus diminishes.

I found for me that I was better off keeping my "eye" out where the target would be throughout the round.
Yeah that ---- On days I shoot best I find I am seeing the targets better and those seem to be the days my eyes never go down to the gun --- I try not to look down much when I am loading - try to keep my eyes "out yonder" as mush as possible.

· Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Prior to getting a stock made I used to bead check before calling every single time. After the stock, I still checked for a while but soon found it pointless as the gun fit me perfectly and I was able to mount the same every time. I then stopped bead checking. There are a couple people I have seen over the years that don't even have beads on their gun. I don't think I will take it that far personally.

· Registered
3,354 Posts
No.

As you age your eye's ability to quickly change focus diminishes.

I found for me that I was better off keeping my "eye" out where the target would be throughout the round.
This. If your gun fits you shouldn't need to habitually check your beads, especially as you age. I know my eyes sure don't focus as quick as they used to! I also suspect it can lead to bead checking when you get close to the target.

· Registered
3,354 Posts
See how easily a thread goes off the rails or inadvertently hijacked? Gone from bead alignment to squad rhythm. Need to start a separate thread for that.

I'm thinking lawsuit. Or at least another thread to point out when a thread goes off the tracks so that doesn't interfere with the original thread!

· Registered
36,787 Posts
The middle bead is irrelevant when shooting a bird. It’s purpose is to check for proper gun mount before calling for the bird. I never see the middle bead after I call “pull” and only see the muzzle and the front bead in my secondary vision, my focus is on the target.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts