Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question is not to start a figure 8 debate but to establish what adjustment must be made to have my center bead align right to left with the front bead. I have an adjustable comb , I am a right hand shooter and my center bead is to the right side of the front bead. My rib is not bent it has been checked .

Thanks Joe

·
Registered
995 Posts
My advice is to take that center (mid) bead and throw it far, far away. The front bead is the front sight and your eye is the rear. You adjust the POI by moving the rear sight, your eye, by adjusting the comb.
Just what value that mid bead is is completely beyond me, except to confuse the shooter, and to make TS.com threads longer...
dju

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
"once you trust your mount enough to know that your rear sight will always end up where you want it relative to your from sight."

Ditto that.

When you can mount your gun with your eyes closed, open your master eye and see perfect alignment...without wiggling, 101 times (in case you have a no-bird)....you're good to go since it can be nothing but a distraction after that.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
mac66, take the advice above if you are the kind of guy who puts electrical tape over a warning light on his dashboard feeling that it is a "distraction."

Neil

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
You may have to have the stock bent even though you have an adjustable comb. That happened to a friend with his K-80.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Trap guns have two beads for a reason. Use them to make the gun fit you. Once you call a bird you should not see the beads anyhow.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
....I have an MX-9 that has 5 replacable mid beads of different heights. They are not helpful--I pulled the bead out of the lowest one and that is all I use. I shoot off the end of the barrel and a mid bead is worse than usless for me. Great respect for you Neil but we disagree on this one..Smokit

·
Registered
507 Posts
I think it's a great idea that all shooters who know how to make a perfect mount should just remove the center bead. Hell, take off that bothersome front one too while your at it.

ARE YOU MEN, OR WHAT!!!!!!!! (Ha, Ha, Ha, !!!)

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I think that the question was about what to do to correct a gun that, when mounted, has the mid rib bead to the right of the front bead. Obviously the correct answer is to move the comb to the right either by adjusting it, bending the stock or loosing weight in the face, provided you first have the correct LOP.

Ed Yanchok

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
He can even add a third bead if he wants. Maybe even a little bubble level. No wait, cross hairs and a gyroscope! The substitutes for learning to mount a shotgun are endless.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
You dont shoot the beads ,you shoot the Target! No one ever looked too hard at a target! To answer the question, move the comb to the right. Jeff

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The bead alignment was presented to the forum mainly because I am relatively new to the sport and trying to improve a far from perfect gun mount, not in the process of shooting but mounting the gun at home to improve mounting consistancy and after each mount as a method of checking mount consistancy upon eye opening I use the beads as a guage, having the center bead constanly to the right tells me I am not looking center of rib and probably not shooting where I am looking, by moving the comb to the right. as directed I hope this corrects my problem , by various responses I am not sure if it is a problem or a perceived one.I realize aiming is not part of shooting but a proper mount is what I am trying to attain.
Thanks Joe

·
Registered
488 Posts
I recommend that everyone remove all beads, move the front of the rib all the way down and raise the rear of the rib all the way up if you have an adjustable rib that is. If you have an adjustable comb, put it in the lowest position and in the center horizonal position. Oh, and be sure and shoot only 7/8 ounces of number 9 shot and the 2 3/4 dram equiv. loads. Please start this with the first spring Grand and be sure and give it a chance by using it all summer long. Do not give up on this setup just because your scores suffer at first. Everybody knows that it takes several thousand rounds to get accustomed to a new setup. Btw, I hope to squad with as many of you as possible this year. Good Luck and Good shooting. LOL!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts