Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
B&P's Competition One and Sporting Clay Shells were recommended to me, so I bought a few cases of both - 1oz loads, but initial impressions are that it has a very low recoil. Anyone else using them?

The SC shells are fiber wads, Comp Ones are plastic. Given the same price, any advantage of one over the other?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I love the 1 oz. 1165 fps Comp 1 for the first shot in doubles. They are distinctly softer shooting compared to other shells in the same price range. I have ejection problems with B&P shells in my o/u barrel but, my un-single kicks the hulls over my shoulder!!?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love the 1 oz. 1165 fps Comp 1 for the first shot in doubles. They are distinctly softer shooting compared to other shells in the same price range. I have ejection problems with B&P shells in my o/u barrel but, my un-single kicks the hulls over my shoulder!!?
Why do you think you have ejection problems with them? I've only shot a few boxes but no ejection problems.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Any reason for shooting both?
Bob,

I use the 1160's for most normal targets and the 1260's for distant and or on edge targets to get more kinetic energy where needed.
I have also had great success with the 1260's @ the 27yd line.
I can shoot these shells all day as they feel like 28ga.
If you have a target in the next zip code I use the 1 oz F2 @ 1300fps with plated shot. These do have a bump to them.

CT

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bob,

I use the 1160's for most normal targets and the 1260's for distant and or on edge targets to get more kinetic energy where needed.
I have also had great success with the 1260's @ the 27yd line.
I can shoot these shells all day as they feel like 28ga.
If you have a target in the next zip code I use the 1 oz F2 @ 1300fps with plated shot. These do have a bump to them.

CT
Thanks, so it's fps rather than type of shell? If the Comp Ones were offered in all speeds/fps would you stay with them and/or of the Comp Sporting Clays were offered in all speeds/fps would you stay with them? Or is there some other benefit of one line over the other?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Thanks, so it's fps rather than type of shell? If the Comp Ones were offered in all speeds/fps would you stay with them and/or of the Comp Sporting Clays were offered in all speeds/fps would you stay with them? Or is there some other benefit of one line over the other?
Bob,
The Comp I's in one once are only offered at 1165fps. If available I would not use them with higher speed because of their softer shot.
The Sporting Clays are offered in the higher speeds with harder shot. I would not use them at lower speed because of the increased price.
The F2's are even more speed and have plated shot.
The prices increase as you move up to higher performance levels. So, for recoil comfort and the lowest pricing I use the Comp I's for most shots, and they do break targets.
The f2's are B&P's premier shell and are what the pros and Olympic shooters use.
I only shoot 1 oz shells now for reduced recoil and cost and do not feel handicapped with the lighter pay load.

CT

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bob,
The Comp I's in one once are only offered at 1165fps. If available I would not use them with higher speed because of their softer shot.
The Sporting Clays are offered in the higher speeds with harder shot. I would not use them at lower speed because of the increased price.
The F2's are even more speed and have plated shot.
The prices increase as you move up to higher performance levels. So, for recoil comfort and the lowest pricing I use the Comp I's for most shots, and they do break targets.
The f2's are B&P's premier shell and are what the pros and Olympic shooters use.
I only shoot 1 oz shells now for reduced recoil and cost and do not feel handicapped with the lighter pay load.

CT
Thanks again, now I get it, makes sense. I have about a case of Comp Ones and since they were not available a few weeks ago I bought 3 cases of Bornaghi Gold's 1oz 1250 fps on sale. But I think I'm going to settle on the B&P Comp One's (unless a great sale comes up for something way less expensive) and call it a day - a good day at that.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I try to get them on sale.
Certainly. A couple of years ago I was ready to place an order for a pallet (actually 110 cases). Sent the order in and was informed they had a major price increase a week or so prior so I had to cancel the order.

As much as I like the Comp 1's, I just can't justify the price difference. Buying Aguilla's for $14 less per flat than the best price I could find on the B&P. That adds up, especially when buying for my wife and myself!

I still buy some every year at the Nationals when I fly in, I just can't justify the price difference for everyday shooting......wish I could! :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Certainly. A couple of years ago I was ready to place an order for a pallet (actually 110 cases). Sent the order in and was informed they had a major price increase a week or so prior so I had to cancel the order.

As much as I like the Comp 1's, I just can't justify the price difference. Buying Aguilla's for $14 less per flat than the best price I could find on the B&P. That adds up, especially when buying for my wife and myself!

I still buy some every year at the Nationals when I fly in, I just can't justify the price difference for everyday shooting......wish I could! :)

I hear you on that about price and I always buy shells on sale. Actually, I would like to settle on a particular shell or two and just stick with them, rather than buying a smorgasbord of shells. I think I would benefit from the consistency.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Why do you think you have ejection problems with them? I've only shot a few boxes but no ejection problems.
It's just a quirk of my Ithaca MX8. It does not like any steel head shells. I thought it would like the B&Ps but no, they only eject about an inch so I have to manually extract them. The MX15 doesn't care about the type of hull and flings everything all the way to the gravel.

·
Registered
704 Posts
B&P's Competition One and Sporting Clay Shells were recommended to me, so I bought a few cases of both - 1oz loads, but initial impressions are that it has a very low recoil. Anyone else using them?

The SC shells are fiber wads, Comp Ones are plastic. Given the same price, any advantage of one over the other?
Bob,

The B&P Comp I, Sporting Clays, and F2 shells ALL have plastic wads of B&P's own design.
They are NOT fiber wads.

CT

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bob,

The B&P Comp I, Sporting Clays, and F2 shells ALL have plastic wads of B&P's own design.
They are NOT fiber wads.

CT

Thanks searun,

The only reason I was aware of fiber wad shells is because when I went to take a lesson at Griffin&Howe they only allow fiber wad shells to be shot there. The ones I used there (and bought a few cases) were the Sporting Clays listed below. Did I get it wrong?

B&P Competition Sporting Clay Shotshells-12 ga 2-3/4 In 1 oz #8 1200 fps 25/ct
Price: $8.34 ($0.33 / count)
Availability: IN STOCK

5.0 star ratingAdd to Wishlist

Brand
Competition Sporting Clay
UPC
Mfg Part#
CA7T03SPA001

1 - 20 of 29 Posts