Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While Wis. Electric Power Co. is building a 1.3 billion dollar power plant, the gun club where I was shooting has lost our traprange. We're putting together some prices and ideas to show to Wis Elec. in order to gain their approval for a new range. I was wondering if anyone knew how much the Lead Shot Curtains cost. We have a limited amount of area, thus this may be useful.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
I have never shot anywhere that used a barrier. If anyone here has done that, I'd love to get your thoughts on it. Does it make it easier or harder? Or is it more enjoyable or a pain? Curious minds want to know.

·
Banned
K-80 Trap Special
45 Posts
I don't know that it is an option but would it be possible to change the direction you shoot in and avoid a curtain?

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
While Wis. Electric Power Co. is building a 1.3 billion dollar power plant, the gun club where I was shooting has lost our traprange. We're putting together some prices and ideas to show to Wis Elec. in order to gain their approval for a new range. I was wondering if anyone knew how much the Lead Shot Curtains cost. We have a limited amount of area, thus this may be useful.
The shot curtain needs to be a minimum of 80 yards from the shooter.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Gig Harbor Sportsman's Club in Gig Harbor, WA and Portland Gun Club in Portland, OR both have shot curtains. I haven't shot at the Gig Harbor one. (it's tall) I've shot lots of rounds at the Portland club and after a couple of rounds you don't even notice it's there. Both have pictures on their web sites.

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
I have never shot anywhere that used a barrier. If anyone here has done that, I'd love to get your thoughts on it. Does it make it easier or harder? Or is it more enjoyable or a pain? Curious minds want to know.
I’ve shot the Cardinal Center several times (usually 3 times a year). I hear a lot of pros and cons. I personally like seeing the target against a consistent gray background. I feel that it makes all banks equal in presentation. I don’t have any data on scores shot utilizing curtains vs other backgrounds. If I had to guess I would say that shooting with a curtain background will produce, in the long run, better averages.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
f I had to guess I would say that shooting with a curtain background will produce, in the long run, better averages.
TriCounty Trap Club shoots at Redlands Shooting Park. It shoots each month, usually has 100-110 participants and most of the top ATA shooters in So Cal are members. The program is 100 singles, 25 pair and 50 HC. Classes/yardage follow 6 class ATA guidelines. Averages are kept for the entire year. Because the membership participation is very stable, it made an excellent test bed to compare averages before and after the curtain was installed. In short, averages went up about half a percent across the board. Lower classes did better because there is more mathematical room for improvement.

The consistency of the background allows us to shoot 100 and 50 per field making for a more efficient shoot.

·
Registered
42 Posts
We shoot at Redlands several times a year and I like the shoot curtains.
Its easier to pickup the bird and the reclaim that they sell is pretty good

·
Registered
115 Posts
Redlands is my wife's favorite place to shoot. One of the reasons is the big black curtain makes a good contrast with the bird, they are easier to pick up sooner, a great place to shoot and great people too. Hope to shoot there this Winter.

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
Redlands is my wife's favorite place to shoot. One of the reasons is the big black curtain makes a good contrast with the bird, they are easier to pick up sooner, a great place to shoot and great people too. Hope to shoot there this Winter.
If I recall the Cardinal Center screens started out black and faded to gray. Still a great background.

·
Registered
56 Posts
With the way municipalities have restricted shooting for the last 30 years and the EPA has stepped in to close many down, this might be the future of our sport. Good luck OP.

·
Banned
29 Posts
I shoot at a club that had to install a barrier on the skeet range to stop shot from falling a neighboring property from shooters on stations 1H, 2H and 8L.

Not sure of the cost, but they hired an engineer to design a steel frame is several levels about 40 feet tall and 120 feet wide. The barrier material that hangs from the frame us used industrial rubber conveyer belt. The belt is at least an inch thick and 3 feet wide. The belts are hung and not attached at the bottom so high winds are allowed to move the belt aside instead of blowing the wall down. We learned this the hard way with the first barrier attempt.

The barrier is only about 40 yards from station 8 so we occasionally have shot bounce back and hit shooters. Never hard enough to hurt anyone, but enough to remind people how important eye protection is; in case the clay target shards embedder in the side of the wood trap house is not enough.

·
Banned
29 Posts
I love shooting at Redlands. As previously stated, the shot curtains make the birds easier to pick up.

I can see that if there was strong contrast between barrier and target. The barrier I previously discussed made station 8L more difficult because the rubber belts are black and the club buys targets with a black bottom.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
If I remember correctly, Redlands uses orange targets which really standout against the shot curtains.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts