Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What advantages do you get from back boring? Also, same with forcing cones? Do these upgrades help with recoil and improving your pattern? Any other advantages to doing this?

·
Registered
685 Posts
hi drake as far as back boring i believe it shortens shot string. you are a good shot u dont need 10' of shot string lets put all shot up front. lengthend forcing cones i believe protects the quarterback. another words a smoother transition from chamber dia. to bore dia. this i think will protect shot in the wad. i think these improve patterns. as far as recoil probably yes but others may debate that. howard

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
It releves you from carrying all that money around and the gun shoots just as well as it did before if you are lucky. Also your resale price won't go down if you don't admit it when you sell or trade it.

jim brown

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Lots of opinions if they did not work why do all the new guns have these up grades ? They are inexpensive mods and I have several guns that have this work done and shoot great less felt recoil alone was worth it for me.

However if your gun patterns well and recoil is not a issue I would leave it alone as many good score came from production barrels for sure.

The other choice of barrel work from the master barrel smiths is the other question as most of the big dogs have their barrels tuned but they are semi pros looking for that one extra target that can be the difference in a match. I have shot these barrels and they are awsome target crunchers seems like most mass produced barrels can be improved upon somewhat.

The other factor is trap shooters are frugal and don't seem to like change or spending. These mod costs are a joke to most other hobby's like boating, racing, flying, get my drift try it if you want not much at stake in the long run just enjoy fiddling around.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Drake, if you have a good barrel, leave it alone. If, on the other hand, your barrel is bad, have it fixed.

I've owned a lot of barrels, 7 of them Perazzi. Two of them did not pattern as well as I had come to expect from a Perazzi barrel, so I sent them to a well respected barrel smith. They returned corrected. Here is what I've found in my barrel "working" history.

My first real trap gun was a Superposed Lightning. That gun beat the snot out of me. It patterned better than any barrel I've owned since, so I didn't want to mess with it. As a last resort I decided to have the forcing cones lengthened. I was told it would reduce felt recoil and improve patterns. It did reduce the recoil I felt, but it actually opened patterns up a little. Bores were .722".

I've never had a barrel backbored only. Generally speaking, when you have a smith work on your barrels, they want to change the choke profile and possibly the forcing cone length and/or profile. To do that requires removing metal. Removing metal in the choke area requires you enlarge the bore to match. that's why the smiths backbore the barrels. They have to in order to do the choke work.

My impressions. Lengthening the forcing cones does reduce felt recoil. Backboring MAY have a slight effect on recoil, but I cannot tell for certain. Any effects claimed for the backboring itself must be taken with a grain of salt. The backboring happened in conjunction with choke work and forcing cone work, so what you now has is a completely different barrel. Since there is no dimension or profile in front of the chamber that has not been altered, no one can reliably say the shotstring is shortened, etc.

When I had my "bad" barrels done the chokes were reworked and the bores enlarged to match. The forcing cones were touched in the cleanup process, but not lengthened. Recoil was the same before and after. Patterns after were much better.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
There is NO barrel modification PROVEN to deliver greater performance improvement than my exclusive Methane Treatment Process (MTP). Not to mention, I only charge $99 + shipping.

-Gary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts