Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets here the best way to get rid of barrel rise upon firing. I noticed on Straight away shots as soon as I fire the barrel covers the bird up. I am a 90/10 shooter and have never had this happen before. What adjustments do I need to do to the gun to stop it.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Gary, I already thought about that but that was the real reason for getting this gun. My old one felt like I was packing two bags of shot around. I hope that's not the answer.
How is everything up north. From my house to yours have a great Christmas. Hopefully will meet up in the summer, take care.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Can you increase the pitch on the recoil pad?

If your pad screws on, loosen the bottom screw and unscrew the top one.
Between the stock and the recoil pad- slip a washer in, maybe 1/8 inch, and screw through it back into the stock.

This should make the gun shoot flatter under recoil. I learned it of some old boys that used a match in there instead of the washer.

Hope this helps and happy holidays!

·
Banned
5,706 Posts
To reduce Bbl rise you need to reduce the pitch, not increase it.

That is why I shoot a "0" Zero pitch gun, and have for over 40 years, the trapgun just moves straight back.

Gary Bryant
Dr.longshot

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So if I read the last two posts they each say the opposite. So which way is the right way.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So for us dummies, does that mean add the washer to the bottom screw on the recoil pad or to the top. Thanks for the answers and suggestions, keep um coming. Got to get it figured out.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
It's all bull anyway, G2, the effect of pitch on point of impact. Don't pay any attention.

There are, according to Major-General Hatcher, two phases of recoil.

1. Phase 1, the rotation of the gun around its center of gravity. This is independent of pitch, since it is something else entirely, controlled by different forces.

2. Phase 2, the building of force on the shoulder, happens much later. The gun has only moved back a third of an inch when the shot exits and the force on the shoulder in minimal, since you can compress your own shoulder that much without even trying and without using much force at all.

So by the time the force on the shoulder peaks the shot is already at the bird and long, long free of any magical pitch effect on POI.

It's just gun club talk.

What's wrong with where the gun ends up now? Sure, it's way over the bird, but with your point of impact you shoot when the barrel is well under it, so anything that happens now is just where it ends up, that's all.

Neil

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/poEBXc32TRM?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Supporting Vendor
9,953 Posts
Love you grntitan, but pitch is a very individual dimension. Zero just isn't for everyone. This video has been around for a while now and I just have to ask, am I the only one that totally disagrees with what these guys are saying??

Just wondering.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
I've had Wenig put a variety of pitches on the stocks they have recently made for me. The one with eight degrees felt a little odd on my shoulder, like I wasn't getting the kind of full contact at the bottom of the pad I am used to. But it didn't kick any differently from the others, which I've dialed back to about four degrees and they feel like a better match for my chest. To the extent that I'm not aware of anything when the gun settles in and I think that's the way it ought to be.

I think you can just use the matchbook trick, spacing the bottom or the top of the recoil pad out or in, to find the angle when it hits your whole shoulder/upper-chest about evenly and if it's a lot different than the way it is now, you can cut the stock (or have Tron or other do it) or buy some angled spacers to get even contact, more or less. and it's going to work fine.

Neil

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys, I think I get the answers but all I need to know now is DO I AD A SPACER TO THE TOP OF THE RECOIL PAD OR THE BOTTOM or is it trial and error?

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
G2, just mount the gun and note how it contacts your shoulder/upper chest when you are standing as you shoot. With the same bend forward, the same gun placement, the same clothes you shoot in in summer, everything.

If it hits evenly don't change it.

If it doesn’t seem to be hitting much at the lower part of the recoil pad, space it out at the bottom.

If it's hitting at the bottom but not much at the top, space it out at the top.

But if you insist . . .

The theory (some of) these guys are using is that the lower on the recoil pad your body is making hardest contact, the more it's going to lever up into your face (and the muzzle too, which is what is bothering you.)

So, if you follow this logic, you should make the body/pad maximum-force contact patch higher on the pad and to do that, you have to space the top of the pad out.

Is this the opposite from the movie? Yes. At least I think so. Is that my fault? No, but they are talking about where the gun shifts to and they say the more the pitch the more the stock moves up into your cheekbone and I've no reason not to believe that but it is unrelated to your problem.

(But I think they have misdiagnosed it. If you look at the two example guns it's not just the pitch that’s different, the drop at the heel is different too. A lot of drop at the heel is a sure prescription for facial trauma. Anton made me one - OK, two - with double-monte-carlos and they made my ears ring in three shots and after 25 I was bleeding and all done. I sold them to a gun trader and I saw one of them for years on various dealers' displays. My guess is, they couldn't be shot by anyone.)

Neil

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Neil, but depending out goose2's chest, if he placed the washers on the heel ( top ) of the pad might this not give stock thus barrel a downward movement upon firing?

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Sure, that's what everyone says, Martin, but it's not true.

It might be true if the any part of the stock were above a line straight back from the bore, but with shotguns, that's not happening. The bore is _always_ above the main area of contact of the gun and the shooter, so it's is _always_ levered up, and anyway, that part of the recoil, the movement-caused one, happens long after the shot is gone and so can't affect the POI anyway.

Free pistols, some precision air pistols, the AK, they all put the line of the bore as even with the point of contact as possible. Shotguns don't. And come on - did you ever really find that the lower barrel of an O/U seems to kick less? I sure never have!

The makers of some international target pistols tried some stuff to get the barrel really low and they got banned, I was told, and now there are rules about how low it can be.

Neil

1 - 20 of 34 Posts