Trapshooters Forum banner

BARREL PORTING

2737 Views 25 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  Trap2
Let me put it this way, I never understand the need to modify factory barrels, and I wouldn't spend my money to have barrels ported, back bored, forcing cone removed. But I certainly will not reject a good gun solely because of these works.

I have no scientific proof these things work as they claimed, but I didn't feel any thing negative shooting a gun that had these works done to it (including cleaning).

There're many factory guns (including Perazzi) that are ported, and almost all Olympic shooters shoot ported shotguns these days.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
1,071 Posts
Porty Port Port Port...

Is that what Keller sings as he strolls down the line??

Me I do not notice any difference in either and do not mind shooting either as long as it Breaks em all.

· Registered
167 Posts
I have several ported guns by different 'smiths, as well as Browning factory. I see no apparent advantage to the process and as was said above, if any, it's barrel bounce, not less recoil we would hope to obtain. One type, the original Tom Seitz drilled pattern became so problematic to keep clean, I just let the holes plug up and ignored them. Two other types I have don't plug, but they certainly cause soot buildup on the upper barrel, on and under the rib on an un-single. I believe that states my opinion of porting. Although quite rare, I have seen three different barrels that cracked or split between the ports. That's a bad deal.

JMO

Larry

· Registered
21,601 Posts
Whats with the "ALL CAPS"??

Below the box where you make a post there are posting suggestions listed by the forum owner. Included in those are:

"Avoid shouting: Responses written with all capital letters symbolize shouting. Use capital letters sparingly. A message in all caps is considered rude."

· Banned
9,042 Posts
I thought maybe his hearing was so bad after standing next to guys shooting ported guns, that he did not realize he was shouting. Caps lock?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.