Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for suggestions for barrel length for an average height (5' 10") and average weight (190lb) shooter for singles and caps? (32, 33, 34 or 35" top single barrel)

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Trap shooters are always changing guns. I would get a 34" single barrel, if for no other reason, just for resale value.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
The best thing you can do is shoot a variety of different guns to see what works best for you. If you go to a large shoot, there are often vendors selling guns and you can test drive several.

The most popular combination is a 34" single barrel and 32" OU. But there is more to it than just barrel length. Do you like light barrels or heavy barrels? Do you need a high shooting gun or a flat shooter? These are all questions that can be answered after you shoot different guns. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
anything.
just shoot.

im 6-1 and use a 28" and run them. its all going thru a perfect full choke.

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
Another vote for 34" Single barrel and 32" O/U barrels. They have always outsold the other lengths because they work for nearly all shooters. If you ever trade or sell it longer is better.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
What MX8 said. Pure and simple truth. A shooter of your dimensions has ample upper body strength for the purpose.

I am 64, 5' 10", 152 lbs, older than dirt as well as a Cancer survivor, and those lengths are easily handled for the whole day.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Go to a shop or vendor and handle several. I use a 34 inch Ljutic with a fixed full choke for singles and caps and a 30" XT for doubles. I'm 5'7 or 5'8, 170lb

·
Registered
97 Posts
i tend to stop the swing short on shorter-barreled guns. so now i shoot a 34 in bt-99. but i only learned that by shooting a lot and paying attention over time. And having to sort out trends from ups and downs -- hence i second the advice in previous posts above -- shoot a lot with what you choose and see how it comes out and if you have to change later the so be it. If you can try out examples of the candidates great.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Most trapshooters live by the peter principal, if it's bigger it's better. But thats only if it works! I've seen some pretty big men shoot well with 32 inch single's. What ever works for you!

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
As Albert Einstein would say "it's all relative! I tend to like 30 in. barrels on my Model 12s but 28 In. barrels on my 1100 and 870s. On Over/Unders I prefer the 30 in. tubes. You should visit some shops and try the feel of a few guns before you decide. I knew one guy who was doing really WELL with his Browning O/U with 28 in. barrels. He just couldn't wait to get a 32 in model. He tried one and he couldn't hit squat with it! It has all to do with balance, feel, and what you feel comfortable with!

·
Registered
909 Posts
I am 5'8" and shrinking.....I shoot a CG 34" unsingle Trap and love it. I like the inertia and sighting plane of the long barrel. Put 150 rounds through it yesterday.
My skeet gun is a 32" 20g CG Impact.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts