Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it’s a personal preference but what do you look for in barrel length? Does your height and body shape/size play a factor? Yes I’m new to sport and have always had 28” field guns just because that’s the common/only offering.

·
Registered
517 Posts
32” O/U. I’m 6’2” with long arms and it swings smooth for me. I like the longer sight plane as well. I’ll shoot a 26” field gun just fine also. But for clays I like the longer barrels.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Depends on what I'm shooting. I shoot trap with 32" barrels and move to 30" for Skeet and Sporting clays for ease of swing. I also use 30" barrels for hunting

·
Registered
10,448 Posts
Depends on the game and the gun. The K-80 and K-20 Sporters balance well with 32" barrels. The Remington 870 12 ga seems to balance best with the 26". Prewar Model 12 12 ga plain barrel? 28"

·
Registered
7,960 Posts
I tried everything from 26" to 34" O/Us. I find barrel weight more important than length.
My favorite O/U is 29.5"/30" with 1.55 kgs weight.
I also had a 34" unsingle that weights 1.5 kgs only, I shot a couple 100s with it.
So for me, barrel weight is a lot more important than length.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Weight is more a factor for me then length of a barrel . I used to shoot a KX5 with a 34" barrel and that worked great . Tried a 34" o/u on a K80 > not so good . Barrel lengt is not that important to me , it is more the " feel" and swing of the gun . I shoot Skeet and sporting mostly with a 20 Ga , 32" barrel Cesar Guerini and do good with it

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
For me, 32” for o/u and 34” for single barrel.
I believe that is probably the most common set up for trap.

·
Registered
Winchester Diamond Grade Trap Combo , Browning 725 Pro Trap
128 Posts
I know it’s a personal preference but what do you look for in barrel length? Does your height and body shape/size play a factor? Yes I’m new to sport and have always had 28” field guns just because that’s the common/only offering.
For me it’s all about how it feels. Have an o/u at 30” and unsingle at 34” weight and how they swing is important. My gun weighs pretty close to the same weight with both 10.0 lbs. The 34” feels a little heavier in the nose and helps slow the swing a bit. The 30” swing feels slightly quicker.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I believe it is both your physical characteristics and the gun's balance and dynamics. I am 5"10 and my 8# Mirage with 29.5 barrels weighing 1.49kg seem just perfect both for sporting and for trap. My 7#4 ounce SxS with 28" barrels that I shoot Sporting with feels equally as well. My favorite SBT TM1 has a 34" weighing 1.47kg. The key is all three guns are balanced the same and have pretty much the same dynamics.

·
Registered
146 Posts
32" works best for me. I'm 6'3 and 30" or less barrels seem very "whippy" to me. Plus, I've noticed that the resale value of a 32" barreled gun is higher than a 30" (or less) barreled gun.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I've always thought of barrel length and a person's height going together in a similar way as the aspect ratio on TV receivers. To my eyes, a tall person seems to look better with a longer barreled gun than a short person with the same gun. There's nothing scientific in that. It's just what looks more in proportion. I'm a tad under 6'-3" and have shot a lot of different O/U trap guns with 29.5", 30", 30.75" and 32" barrels. My preference is for 32" barrels. I shot skeet mostly with 1100s with 26" barrels (which are equivalent to 28" on an O/U) and O/Us with 28" barrels. I shot NSSA skeet dropped gun and Olympic skeet regulation ISSF low gun. Having longer barrels on my skeet guns would probably have been counter productive. I've never concerned myself overly with barrel weight on any gun, for example, my 4-gun set of 1100s that I used for NSSA skeet all had Cutts compensators fitted, but the 1100 I shot for Olympic skeet had just a regular ribbed skeet barrel. You can't get barrel weights much more different than that!

·
Registered
127 Posts
This is my preferences as well. I'm 6'2" with long arms and lean build. I don't think there is a set in stone rule since shooters and their shotguns vary. I do think physique is in play on what works best. But, I'm not a gun fitter so what do I know.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
I believe it depends on the type of gun you are looking at & think you might want to also consider gun length along with barrel length. Because of the longer actions on them, a pump or auto-loader with a 32” barrel is going to be a longer gun than a break-open gun with a 32” barrel. Just something to keep in mind.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts