Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Wednesday I shot in an informal match with a young guy who has shot on a youth team in sanctioned matches in the past.

He showed up with a 20" pump cylinder bore. He shot a 44 out of 50. Now I know he is very good, but doesn't that sort of discount the important of 30" + barrels?

The hell of it is, I outshot him but given the gun he was using, it seemed like a pyrrhic victory.

Reactions: scooterbum

·
Banned
7,664 Posts
20" is kind of short for everything except tactical application, but he got 44/50 with a cyl choke is impressive.

·
Registered
300 Posts
This will be a discussion that will probably go both ways and in the end no definitive conclusion will be made. I think the true question should be, "How important is barrel length to shooter relationship?" Point in fact: My son now uses my old Ruger Red Label with 26" barrels. He averages 22/25. Not bad for a rookie 16 y.o. I went with a Citori 725 with 32" barrels. We switched the other day for kicks and I couldn't hit a thing with the Ruger.

Now that being said, I won't ever go back to anything less than 30" and I'm dreaming of the day when I can have my 34" unsingle gun.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
The longer the barrel, the closer you are to the bird. I'm working on a 2' screw in choke extension.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I shot a 30" Kolar Skeet Max for 3 years and shot it well. I thought switching to a 32" Krieghoff ProSporter would be better...not so much. Although I like the longer sight plan of the K-80, the weight and balance does not work for me, especially in Skeet doubles. I am so frustrated with my shooting I haven't shot a registered round all year. It will come down to each individual's preferences...weight, balance, and feel.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Depends what kind of match you were shooting. If you were shooting sporting with some 40 yd crossers, that is amazing shooting. Trap or skeet, or a sporting clays course he had shot many times before, in my opinion can be learned with even suboptimal guns, 44 being just average shooting. I am sure if that if he had a proper gun, he would have done better.

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
Just because something can be done with a particular gun, that doesn't mean it's the right "tool" for the job.

He was definitely at a disadvantage with the gun he was shooting. Not my opinion...it's a fact.

·
Banned
8,492 Posts
When I work on my vehicles I don't have the proper tools for many situations but I eventually get the job done
If I had the proper tools I know I could get the job done faster and much more efficient.

·
Registered
15,371 Posts
Do you think the 20" barrel would consistently produce for the young man,
or anyone!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts