Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran a search first but didn’t see any results for this. I’m seriously considering the purchase of 20 ga barrels for a 12 ga Beretta 686 SP Sporting that’s working really well for me. I’ve previously owned various tubes for different guns but ultimately have issues with both the shorter and full-length insets for different reasons. Given the cost of an additional barrel I’ve also considered the outright purchase of another gun in that gauge but don’t necessarily want to learn to shoot a scaled down version of my gun with reduced weight , etc.
These are my real questions. What’s the chance a new barrel will actually require fitting by a gunsmith? Are these machined well enough I should anticipate a good fit to start? Assuming it requires some fitting what does that usually entail? Is metal being removed so that it makes refitting at a later time problematic for another gun or for resale? Is any adjustment being made to the receiver? I see barrels being regularly sold just don’t understand the process and potential pitfalls, complications if I go this route. Thanks in advance for any feedback

·
Registered
13,913 Posts
What’s the chance a new barrel will actually require fitting by a gunsmith?
A brand new barrel, almost 100%. A used barrel, probably better but higher likelihood of needing to be rebuilt before fitting.

Are these machined well enough I should anticipate a good fit to start?
It's not about machining quality, it's about tolerance and age/wear.

Assuming it requires some fitting what does that usually entail?
Too many variables to list.

Is metal being removed so that it makes refitting at a later time problematic for another gun or for resale?
Too many variables to make that call.

Is any adjustment being made to the receiver?
Typically not, but possible depending on the level of wear the receiver and iron has.

Bottom line, could snap right on, or could require hundreds of dollar of work, no way to know without trying. What can get quite complicated and expensive quickly is trying to assemble a two barrel set, which may involve a receiver rebuilt and subsequent fitting/refitting of BOTH barrels, depending on what all combination of age and wear of parts you're looking at.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
What Ian said. Just figure it will need to be fit to prevent excessive wear/tear and be sure it is safe to fire. The explosion of shells is pretty damn close to your face. Is it really worth the risk for 100-150 bucks? Good luck and good shooting, Rey

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Been looking at this situation for a while. My take is to just have the new barrel fitted when you buy it. Coles or JE. Maybe not the place to try to save $200. An extra barrel is a pretty expensive idea and might as well be done right. And you are going to be lucky if you can even get the barrels now. Last time I looked they had 28 gauge but not 20 gauge for the 12 gauge frame. With the virus , who knows what will be restocked when from Italy. I do not need to shoot 20 gauge so I did not do it. Overall when I had the chance and the barrels were in stock it looked like a $1600 job with shipping, fitting, chokes, etc,. And maybe more with sales tax. Buying used and taking a chance of self fitting might save $500 but with the risk of losing most of the investment if things do not go right. Plus the 20 gauge barrels just do not pop up for sale real often,

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. I found the barrel I would want - it is new. If I do this I’m likely just to have that sent to directly to Coles and feel confident that it was done right to start.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
I would go for it. Finding the barrel is the hard part. As for fitting, I do not know much about Beretta's. I have done several Brownings. All but one Citori barrel fit up pretty well, one did not. Most of the problem was with fitting the forearm / underlug. I bought barrels for my Superposed, fit was way off, more work than I wanted to do. Ended up taking it to Art Isaacson, Hillsboro, MO to fit. It was minor and cost about $150. Sad, but he will not work on Beretta's. Regards, Bob

·
Registered
795 Posts
Like others have posted, I seen some 28 ga 30 inchers show up the last few months and didn't hang around long, while the 20's are long gone from the usual known dealers. I've asking myself is Beretta still going to continue producing the 20/28 ga barrels for the 682's or the new 690 series re-designed curved shoulders? The relationship between Beretta and American shooter has been a "Step Child" affair you get what we want you to have and don't are what you want to shoot as this as plagued American Beretta shooters for so many years. I attended a DU banquet few years ago, the retired mucky muck of Beretta USA was at the table I told him Beretta does not pay attention the American Shooter market like other manufactures. I'm sure those will remember when Beretta showed up in Maryland; Beretta made some beautiful DU banquet guns, Beretta doesn't like to hear suggestions so Beretta DU guns vanished for # of years.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ultimately purchased a 30 in 20 ga bbl for my 686 and handed it off to the gunsmith yesterday to be fitted. He made the same comment re the scarcity of these barrels. Looking forward to shooting it soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts