Trapshooters Forum banner

barrel cleaning

2440 Views 14 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  carl100
Recently purchased a Citori online. The gun is about 10 years old but still NIB. The Browning sticker that was on the barrel left some really terrible residue. Need something that will remove it but not hurt the blueing, thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

T67
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
6,754 Posts
Acetone is great for this - if your married, borrow some of your wife's fingernail polish remover.

Mineral Spirits also work well - charcoal lighter fluid is mostly mineral spirits.

· Registered
848 Posts
Goof Off-- The best I have found, I got the tip on this site a couple of years ago, tried it and never looked back. I can get it at Lowe's, Fleet Farm and other hardware stores in small tins and large bottles.

Stan

· Registered
1,866 Posts
If it is related to a sticker, then WD40 is the go-to. Goo-gone if you have to have a specialized chemical. Then go down the list of solvents...some are better than others.

· Registered
3,703 Posts
Unknown1 is right, none of the stuff mentioned will damage a modern gun finish, especially a Browning. Acetone won't even remove Tru-oil and it is soft compared to a Browning finish.

· Registered
3,249 Posts
Mineral spirits like charcoal lighter fluid will remove the adhesive residue left by most any decal/sticker that was originally intended to be removable, especially from metal. Use a coarse cloth, not paper towel, keep it wet and keep turning the cloth.

Keller

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.