Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone built or bought a Barrel Cleaning Vise or Holding Fixture? It would be nice to have a way to keep my barrels fastened down when I am doing a heavy duty cleaning to get the plastic out. I either hold the barrel in my hand or put it in a bench vise with some padding when I do it. I am thinking of building something. Does anyone have any ideas or pictures. Thanx, Billy

·
Registered
199 Posts
I use the Tipton vise that sells for about $100.00. I bought two and put one together with a set of "jaws" at each end. Works well but I have a lot of parts left over. (They were on sale.)

·
Vendor
19,403 Posts
I have one just like halfmile. But I took some bubble wrap and tape and covered up the metal handle. the handle wanted to bump into stocks.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Kids gave me an MTM Tactical Range Box a few Christmas's ago. It's basically the same as their Shooting Range Box, but has an extra holder for an AR15, plus it's black instead of green/gray or red/gray.

Both range boxes have rubber padded "forks" to place guns or barrels into. I've put my 1187 barrels in mine when I've used a drill and a bronze brush to clean out the chamber and forcing cone. Never had a problem with the barrel not being rigidly held.

These are a fairly cheap solution and the box can hold a lot of cleaning tools and supplies. Spare parts too.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Here is what I made. Small vise from Lowe's, Made the square plate w/ rubber adhered to it. Counter sunk holes in the plate to screw into the threads of the vise, 1" square aluminum legs with limiting chain. I take it to weekend shoots & use it at home outside to clean.

Lyle
View attachment 174212

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have seen a lot of nice cradle and vises made by wood workers here on TS--They show there weapons cradled in them. Go ahead, and give it your best shot. Nothing works as good as what the yan'kee thinks up for himself.That's why we have been world leaders . We are slipping though!
Marv

·
Premium Member
12,315 Posts
I have a rubber block I picked up in Europe - will hold S X S or O/U and you just squeeze them in a vise once they are in the block.

I think it cost about $10.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts