Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Infor needed...I have a 303 Baretta 20 gauge and need to clean out the gas ports. What size drill bit and where do I get one long enough to reach down thru the bbl ring and into the ports. I tried a 1/32 and its to big and a 1/64 is to small (& way to short). Thanx in advance for any help.

Willie

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'll slowly make a half fast guess that being European, it will be a metric sized hole. If 1/32= .031 and 1/64=.015, you'll be needing something smaller than 1mm (.038). Find a well stocked machine shop and ask if they have a small diameter metric drill index that you might be able to stop by and make use of as a pin gage set for finding your hole diameter. Or you could try the low rent option of a gas axe torch tip cleaner set from a welding supply company. If you do invest $20 in your own tooling, I would suggest a chucking reamer instead of a drill bit both for the length and the sturdiness. Travers dot com will set you up with the exact size you require(once you know what that diameter is).

·
Registered
16,840 Posts
I found a longer drill bit at an industrial supply house to use on a 303. If you look at the cup, you will see a hole where the long drill bit goes through to access the ports.

If you do not want to use a drill motor, get a pin vise at a hobby shop.

Be aware you may be misled on drill size by a carbon buildup in the holes.

HM

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
What you need to get is a drill bit with a number size not a fractional inch size. They size drill bits both ways. HMB

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
I have a question for those of you with more expereince using autoloaders on a more daily basis. Is clogging of the gas ports more a result of the design of the gas ports themselves or the chacteristics of the powder being used?

I ask that because I have owned two Remington Model 1100s for close to 40 years. One is a Tournament Trap and the other is a field gun with a matte finish. Those two guns have burned handloaded and factory ammo containing all kinds of powders but I just inspected the ports on all the barrels I have for them with a strong LED penlight. The Remington barrel on the field gun, the Remington fixed choke, step-rib barrel that came on the TT and the Hastings high-rib barrel now on the TT all have ports that are wide open with very little carbon present.

Yet I read threads on here about gas ports clogging quite often. Due to the popularity of Beretta autoloaders, I am wondering if their port design is inferior to Remington's or if some powders are felt to be the cause.

Ed

·
Vendor
7,490 Posts
i think its a matter of how the gas pushes against the piston-- personally, i use a pipe cleaner (wire w/ fuzz on it bot at walgreens)and i may say not very often-- beretta really never made the ports oversized in the first place and i've had several reamed out slightly to eliminate clogging and to flip out lighter loads- -i have found the carbon buildup on piston stem a bigger problem--some oil on piston or stem compounds the buildup, so i shot them dry at that end! -- i am not argueing the differance between 1100 and 303s but walmart use to stock 1100 orings !!! back to the 303 20ga owner-- does this barrel say 3in mag or is it a 2 3/4in barrel? 20ga barrels seemed to have less tolerance to lite loads and reaming out was common-i had one done last week for a buyer $30---wally riebesell

·
Registered
498 Posts
I dont have a ported shotgun, but I was wondering if a tip cleaner set for an ocy/actylene torch might not work. It would be more forgiving than a drill bit.

Todd

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
It requires a reamer not a drill bit and when doing it go very slow. Watch for a burr on the inside of barrel when done. Do not do both ports without trying one first.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
I didn't mean to start a Beretta-Remington controversy but for the record, my 1100 I use for hunting still has its original o-ring and the TT is on its second.

Ed

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the help and advice guys, I am going to try that tip cleaner that welders use on Monday--If that doesn't do it I am going to go to the next tip.
Merry Christmas all and thanks again.

Willie

·
Registered
482 Posts
Took my barrel to a machine shop and they had every numbered size :) I would never attach a motor to a cleaning bit. I use a pin vice and am careful by hand pressure only. I hardly ever get anything out of most ports but I check them while I have it apart.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.