Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harry Reid was endorsed by NRA. If you lived in Nevada would you have voted for him?

What if Obama said the things he needed to say and did the things he needed to do to get endorsed by the NRA, would you have voted for him?

Is an NRA endorsement enough to get your vote in spite of other actions and promises of a candidate?

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
Only a fool would vote for a candidate based on a single issue.

Notice how many Democrats are fools!!

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
"Harry Reid was endorsed by NRA. If you lived in Nevada would you have voted for him?"

Probably not. I'd need to look at his opponents credentials first.

"What if Obama said the things he needed to say and did the things he needed to do to get endorsed by the NRA, would you have voted for him?"

No. Considering this guys track record for speaking the truth, this one is easy.

"Is an NRA endorsement enough to get your vote in spite of other actions and promises of a candidate?"

No. But the endorsement is a plus vote to be weighed with other facts.

Bob Falfa

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
I'll take this posting as an ANTI-NRA posting...

The NRA is a single issue organization. They endorse candidates based on there support of the Gun Rights, no mater from the left, center, or right. They don't take into consideration other issues.

If gun rights is a major factor on how you vote, then look to the NRA to see if they endorse or not.

If you think every law that becomes before congress could be interpreted as anti-gun, then look to the Gun Owners of America or some such organization and see what they have to say about each candidate.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
"but note that he's also been bitter towards the NRA since the organization declined to support him in his 2010 campaign."

"the NRA, despite its "B" rating of the Senate majority leader, declined to endorse him in a hard-fought race against Republican Sharron Angle."

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/112878/harry-reid-and-wayne-lapierre-why-senator-and-nra-ceo-broke

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I am a Nevada resident and I don't believe the NRA rating of Harry Reid was a factor in the last election - pro or con. The crucial factor was Harry's command of the voter base in Clark County. The rest of the state was very much opposed to his re-election and it has nothing to do with the NRA. It also didn't help that Harry's opponent was something of a bible thumping loon.

Too bad our other senator (Heller) doesn't get the publicity that Reid does. A much better reflection of Nevada IMO.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Mr.Skeet410, er, sammy, er, sam.browne, the NRA never officially endorsed Reid. You are totally in error on this point.

However, the NRA *DID* elevate Reid from a well deserved "D" to a totally undeserved "B" so the Fudds would vote for him as opposed to an "A" rated newcomer. The rationale was to prevent Chuck Schumer from becoming Speaker. If you want to consider this to be a de facto endorsement, well, there are many who feel that way. I do.

The NRA tarnished its candidate ratings badly with this ploy, making them unreliable. At this point in time I no longer bother to check the NRA ratings because they are subject to considerations <i>other</i> than the facts. I rely on the GOA ratings. And verify their actual voting record.

The NRA should have kept the D rating for Reid but should have laid the cards on the table as to what was at stake with the speaker position. I believe pro-gun voters could have figured out the stakes without resorting to false ratings and backdoor "endorsements".

If it is your contention that NRA members vote based on who the NRA endorses or their rating system, your contention is probably not far off the mark for most, but not all, NRA members. It is way off the mark if you believe all gun owners vote based on NRA endorsements or ratings. Especially the liberal gun owners or the most conservative or third party leaning.

As for your post, what is your game, your motivation, in asking this, given your weak sister statements in previous posts?

·
Premium Member
18,797 Posts
People need to take the time to read about candidates. Just because he got moved from a D to B on one issue, doesn't make him the best for the job. Harry Reid has gotten an F on alot of other issues. On the other side of the coin, Sen. McCain might have a favorable rating on one issue, but damn sure gets an F on the rest of it. IMHO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts