Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's everyone using?

I'm using a 1/4 wide by 18TPI presently, and it seems to be a little too wide to comfortably make the radius cuts for an adjustable comb. I tried 1/8" in the past and that was difficult to control and get a straight cut, so I'm thinking about splitting the difference and trying 3/16" this time, finest TPI I can readily find is 14, which should be OK. My current blade is cooked and I need to cut a comb on a rifle stock soon, so I'll be ordering something shortly.

Registered
What's everyone using?

I'm using a 1/4 wide by 18TPI presently, and it seems to be a little too wide to comfortably make the radius cuts for an adjustable comb. I tried 1/8" in the past and that was difficult to control and get a straight cut, so I'm thinking about splitting the difference and trying 3/16" this time, finest TPI I can readily find is 14, which should be OK. My current blade is cooked and I need to cut a comb on a rifle stock soon, so I'll be ordering something shortly.
We've always used a 1/4" 14 TPI "raker" and it's always worked fine

Reactions: KS-5 Spec.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just ordered a 3/16 x 10TPI as an experiment, 13.55 delivered from Amazon, be here Saturday, I have to cut some off the butt of a stock so that'll be a decent experiment. I read elsewhere here that someone thought 3/16" was what Devault said he used.

I got a flexback blade (not really by choice, that's just how the one I spotted that roughly fit my specs came), which may help with the curve cuts, and may let me go back to a 1/4" blade. Really I just need to segregate a blade for stock work, and replace my blades more often.

Registered
What's everyone using?

Specifically for combs, I use 3/16, 18tpi. I've used them for 40 years.

Registered
Asked Dennis Devault one time, he said 3/16, 14 TPI. I found it hard to cut straight on the long runs though, even with everything set correctly. 1/4" blade seems to be better even when a sharper radius (Krieghoff) turn is involved so that the straight runs are better. Wax the back end of the blade to prevent burning.

Registered
Asked Dennis Devault one time, he said 3/16, 14 TPI. I found it hard to cut straight on the long runs though, even with everything set correctly. 1/4" blade seems to be better even when a sharper radius (Krieghoff) turn is involved so that the straight runs are better. Wax the back end of the blade to prevent burning.
I鈥檝e never seen anyone get a Krieghoff cut using a bandsaw. You鈥檒l need a blade like this and a Milling machine to do it correctly

Hand Plant Dress Happy Flash photography

Registered
I鈥檝e never seen anyone get a Krieghoff cut using a bandsaw. You鈥檒l need a blade like this and a Milling machine to do it correctly

View attachment 1756120
I agree you won't get the exact sharp angle cuts in the corners, but you can cut the angles and get pretty close to the same look. I cut this with a 1/4" blade. You have to take just a slight bit off the inside corner to get around for the straight cut.

Reactions: N Bare and jeff348
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.