Ballistol | Page 2 | Trap Shooters Forum
  1. Recently members have been receiving an email about confirming their account. Do not click the link. If you have done so and entered your login information, change your password immediately, and ensure the email address on your account is correct. This is a phishing scam designed to take your login information. Details here: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/confirmation-email-warning.694601/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Members are required to have 50 posts before using the Classifieds Area, or PM system to contact. Any subversion of these rules will result in action taken against your account. The rules are posted here: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/rules-for-using-the-for-sale-by-members-want-to-buy-want-to-trade-sections.265247/
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ballistol

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by kehrby, May 11, 2020.

1. thebigski

thebigski Active Member

I hear that the spray can stuff is less viscous than the liquid stuff in the metal can.

Correct?

jk

2. kehrby

kehrby Well-Known Member

Hope someone else has the answer for that. I’m a new user and just tried the aerosol. It does seem much thicker coming out than the Breakfree CLP I’m accustomed to.

3. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

I've only ever used the sprays

DGH

4. mac1

mac1 Active Member

the original product from Germany was made entirely from a fish called the ratfish that is what the old timers from over there swear by and when I was in Switzerland they used it for everything. They even have the product that is used on conveyors and machinery in the food industry. Rolex used it to clean the metal in there watches according to records in Switzerland I have been using it for a good 30 yrs along with other great products

Mac

5. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

About Ratfish and Ratfish Liver Oil

Ratfish liver oil is one of the finest antioxidant lubricants known, having been used for guns and fine delicate instruments. Some of the old time fishermen used to save ratfish and use the liver oil as a lubricant and rust preventer. It is extremely stable compared to most fish oils and fish liver oils, and has characteristics in common with Sperm whale oil, which was used as a lubricant for the finest pocket watches. NASA even considered ratfish liver oil as a good substitute for Sperm whale oil, which was used as a lubricant in their space programme.

The oils from the ratfish were also used topically, and consumed orally, by the Norwegian Vikings and Scandinavian fishermen for centuries, who regarded this oil as a rare and very special gift from the ocean, ranking it above all other fish liver oils.

6. kehrby

kehrby Well-Known Member

So ballistol is fish oil? Makes sense sort of. Non toxic. Hmm.

7. digodell

digodell Member

8. kehrby

kehrby Well-Known Member

9. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

WD-40 is made from fish oil...

10. Helix

Helix Member

I've tried a lot of gun oils and gun greases. Currently I have an even dozen different gun oils and five different gun specific greases on my cleaning bench shelf. They all work and I can tell little difference in their performance, although I do have my favorites. I tried Ballistol and it seemed to do the job as well as most. But the smell is absolutely stomach turning to me. My wife wouldn't even walk into the garage when I was using it. So, I gave it away and will never consider it again.

For me, there was no reason to clean my guns, a job I normally like doing, while having my olfactory senses assaulted and my stomach upset. For what its worth, it does not smell like fish at all to me, even though I dislike the smell of fish. For those who like it then good for you and keep on keeping on, but I will never again allow it on my own property. Personal opinion only.

11. ditchparrot

ditchparrot Well-Known Member

I've always related the smell to a pissed-off colony of red ants.

I certainly don't find the aroma to be pleasant, but it doesn't come anywhere close to making me ill, either. I'll keep using it on both the metal and wood parts of my guns, along with a lot of other things (fishing reels, bicycles, etc.).

12. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I tend to use Tetra Gun or SuperLube in that neither one has any odor at all...

13. digodell

digodell Member

14. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Helix thanked this.
  15. Bogue

Bogue Well-Known Member

As we are mentioning different oils, and I have used a ton of them -
    How about Rangoon Oil

Rangoon Oil 2.JPG