Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been here awhile with every kind of gun cleaning thread there is so shoot me now if I’ve missed it.
Just got some Ballistol. Used it on a revolver and the COWs holster I carry it in. Supposed to be great for metal and leather and I think they might be right. Cleaned the gun nicely, rubbed into the wood nicely. Seems to like the holster too!
I’ve been a CLP fan forever but this stuff might just take it’s place if it works on the shotguns and rifles.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Sold a lot of it when I had a shop/ Other than the smell everyone really liked the stuff. I have about 3 big bottles , 4 small spray bottles and 25 or 30 wipes left. I use a wipe on my gun when putting it back in the case after shooting.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I started using it for blackpowder cleanup years ago - have been using it on more and more equipment as time goes on. Always have some in the shop.

·
Premium Member
12,645 Posts
Ballistol is hydroscopic.

If you are out on a rainy day it is a good 'first line' item to get on the metal of your gun for the oil will "lift" the water off of the metal.

But, Ballistol is hydroscopic - so it will hold water on the metal as well. There are certain situations where it can hold the water close to the metal and can actually make rust issues worse.

Best thing to do is make sure a 'wet' gun is cleaned and oiled properly with something other than Ballistol after a day in the rain.

Makes a decent cutting oil too.

I've heard it is not a bad protector for cuts as well...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have been using it for 20 years on everything leather ,steel and wood. It has been around sentence before WWl and claims it can be used on minor cuts and even upset stomach but not FDA approved

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I have used it for years also. Smells a little wonky but works fantastic. Check out Hickok 45 on YouTube. He has several videos where he is using it to clean his firearms. He will convince you.....I am a believer that there are MANY fine products out there you can use that work great. It’s better to be using something than using nothing. Seems like we’re always on the quest to find the holy grail though. Good luck.

·
Registered
285 Posts
A gunsmith friend of mine likes it a lot, as much as anything because it is supposed to be much less toxic than many other cleaners. He has some wonky health issues that his docs believe might be related to years of exposure to various solvents.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Was used to keep WWI heavy machine guns running with corrosive ammo. Likely will keep sporting arms going from here on. It has a fascinating history.

Also, non toxic. If you have a spill where your pet may step in it, Ballistol will not make them sick when they lick their paws.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have used it for years also. Smells a little wonky but works fantastic. Check out Hickok 45 on YouTube. He has several videos where he is using it to clean his firearms. He will convince you.....I am a believer that there are MANY fine products out there you can use that work great. It’s better to be using something than using nothing. Seems like we’re always on the quest to find the holy grail though. Good luck.
That’s actually where I first saw it. He does a good job without a bunch of hype. Just information with some fun.
Looked for the stuff locally for awhile with no luck. Finally ordered some online.

·
Registered
97 Posts
+1 for Ballistol. I used to use Rem Oil for a long time but once I found Ballistol, I changed to it exclusively. It is heavier than Rem Oil but have not had any issues in ARs or handguns.

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
A friend gave me a can of Safari Charlie's, I like it pretty good. I like an oil with some viscosity (Superlube) and grease on the hinge pins.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Crushed fish oil or something like that? Smells like rotten fish anyway. I use it on my AR-15, never a misfire. I don't think I could stand the smell of it on my trap gun.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I have used it for years,
Those little 1.5 oz cans are great in a shooting bag for when you need some in a pinch, Not cost effective, But convenient.

DGH

1 - 20 of 41 Posts