Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
9,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one nasty and lingering flu strain. I've had it for nearly 2 weeks and am just now feeling better. Take my word, you don't want it, it's an ass kicker. Wash your hands often and be careful what you touch.

This is my first and only public health warning.

·
Supporting Vendor
9,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No HMB, I opted out of getting a flu shot this year and it was a mistake.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
I got the flu last year even though I had the shot.

It put me in the hospital and trust me, you don't want to go there.

Take care, it's a nasty bug!

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Just got a text from a daughter who is a RN working in an Intensive Care Unit, a hour or so ago. She told us that the StatEvac so far this year has flown 17 people out all on ECMO (a heart lung bypass system) because of heart related issues caused by the current flu strain. These were previously healthy and not from a high risk group. That is one a day from a hospital serving a population center of about 200,000 people.

Daughter finally got through my wife's stubbornness about getting a flu shot since "she never needed one before" and we just came back from her getting a shot. I got mine back in September.

Like they always said on Hill St. Blues, "Be Careful Out There!"

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
I've been wondering if we're heading for another massive flu epidemic like what happened in 1918?

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
There is ZERO proof that the flu shot works and that is in many medical journal studies. There is also a theory of weakening the immune system by taking the shot. There is also no known long term effects(good or bad) for those taking the shot. I have my own theory that it is a huge multi billion dollar money maker for some companies thus the encouragement to take them. I fear it will be much like the antibiotics. Viruses become resistant to certain strains and then what? Tron has it correct. Wash your hands with a good soap for at least 15 seconds before eating.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I've never understood the resistance to getting a flu shot. I vaccinate my cattle and horses and my dog to keep them healthy, why wouldn't I do the same for myself? I get the shot every year in the fall as soon as the VA clinic has 'em available. They say the flu's "going around" here, I dunno'? About a week ago I had about 12 hours of the diarrhea and more body aches than usual and felt weak and a little fever for a few days, feeling fine now. Maybe the shot I had nipped it in the bud?

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
Hauxfan - My pharmacist told me there were two flu strains last year, and early and a late strain. He thought a flu shot would at least mitigate the symptoms of the "other" flu. If that "other" flu sent you to the hospital I guess he was wrong.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Sam, I had heard the same thing. I always get my flu shot in late October or early November. I came down with the flu in late February. So I probably wasn't covered as much as I would have liked to have been.

The thing about this particular flu I contacted, it left me so weak, that two weeks after I got out of the hospital, I didn't think I'd ever regain my strength. But about 6 weeks later, it started to coming around.

My Doctor says those flu shots are really only good for about 3 months. I can believe this, but I still get the shot every year.

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
One thing overlooked about flu shots... Do not get them if you have any illness. Only take the shot if you are healthy. Because of chronic sinus infections I have had to skip the flu shot several times.

·
Molon Labe
11,993 Posts
Bad 303 I don't think it is for the money on the flu shots, they have a hard time finding companies to make them, they say there is very little profit making the serum

Every summer we hear about people dying from the W Nile virus, there is a vaccine for horses for it but none for humans, the reason? No money in developing one for humans

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Most seasons there are different strains of flu and the shot might only cover one. The CDC has to guess which strain will be predominant nearly a year in advance to have the medicine in time for the season.

This year they are saying the shot covers all the strains.

As far as the shot interfering with other medicines or illnesses is the reason why I go to my Dr's office and get the shot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts