Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you've ever been to a backyard trap shoot before and pulled out a real trap gun most folks will be in awe or say "you paid how much for a single shot shotgun!??",even if its an old war horse BT-99 that you first started with. They don't get it. I always take a regular field gun to avoid the attention or static from the un-educated. But anyway...….I have an old wingmaster I plan on having reblued and I also have some nice furniture to put on it. What else could I do to the gun barrel wise? Back bore? whats that's typically cost? Recoil reducers in stock and magazine? to help the gun swing more smoothly? Its not a budget build so cost isn't really that important. Id like to the gun to look stock in appearance, so no gra-coils, etc. Just looking for some opinions. Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would delete this if I could. Found a good a thread.....

·
Premium Member
3,392 Posts
If you have a 30" full choked vent ribbed barrel, leave it alone! Don't mess with the forcing cone, bore, or choke...waste. of money. Might replace the front bead and install a middle line-up bead. Put 8 to 10 oz. of weight in mag tube and stock. A factory straight or monte carlo buttstock and you've got all you need.

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
I have an old Remington vent rib full choke barrel on my 870. Throws the best pattern I have ever seen! No way would I touch that barrel. If I were you I would reblue clean up the wood or replace it and quit. Those 870’s are popular for good reason.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Toss 4 lead filled hulls on top of the mag spring, a hunk of foam over the stock bolt with shot filling the rest of the hole, and you're set.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've got a LH Remington 870 field gun that I use for hunting---ducks, turkey, grouse. I started shooting trap with at the local range. I could shoot some good scores with it. Then I got serious & bought a used BT99. Scores went up---lots of 25 & 50 straights. I started to win the local shoots. I'm still shooting the old BT99 & the 870 is my hunting shotgun.

Buy a used BT99 or other trap gun-----your scores will improve. When your scores improve, you'll shoot more, you'll have more fun. You'll be hooked on trap for life.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had a back yard trap shoot Thursday night, 2-BT99, 692 Berretta, DT11 Beretta, KS-5, Charles Daily o/u, couple old Franci and an 870 competition, CG combo. Everything is welcome in my back yard!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've got a LH Remington 870 field gun that I use for hunting---ducks, turkey, grouse. I started shooting trap with at the local range. I could shoot some good scores with it. Then I got serious & bought a used BT99. Scores went up---lots of 25 & 50 straights. I started to win the local shoots. I'm still shooting the old BT99 & the 870 is my hunting shotgun.

Buy a used BT99 or other trap gun-----your scores will improve. When your scores improve, you'll shoot more, you'll have more fun. You'll be hooked on trap for life.
Ive been shooting trap for 20 years. Have multiple SBT guns. Ive never shot an 870 set up for trap. Thats why was asking about the 870....

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Ive been shooting trap for 20 years. Have multiple SBT guns. Ive never shot an 870 set up for trap. Thats why was asking about the 870....
You're overdue!! I have a BT-99 and a couple of 870's. The 870's work great and would be an excellent 'sleeper' gun for the backyard trap party. I take mine to the fun shoots at our club so when I win, the other folks (many of whom are shooting pump guns and semi-autos in camo) don't get the feeling they were beat by a ringer.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Find an original 870 competition that nobody has messed with the barrel. You will be amazed how far you can reach out and break targets.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You're overdue!! I have a BT-99 and a couple of 870's. The 870's work great and would be an excellent 'sleeper' gun for the backyard trap party. I take mine to the fun shoots at our club so when I win, the other folks (many of whom are shooting pump guns and semi-autos in camo) don't get the feeling they were beat by a ringer.
“Sleeper” is exactly what I'm going for.

Reactions: pbansen

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
“Sleeper” is exactly what I'm going for.
870 Competition (the single shot model with a recoil reduction system in place of the magazine tube) is nearly identical outwardly to a garden-variety Model 870. A little tricky to find for a really good price, but there was one on Gun Broker than you could have picked up yesterday for $575, which was a great deal and it was a very good looking gun. Keep an eye on Gun Broker - it may be back.

Model 870 TB is designed for trap and had nicer wood than field model 870's as well as a straight trap stock. They're going to cost less than a Competition and be easier to find.

Both great shooters in the right hands, fun to shoot and definite 'sleepers'!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts