Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I returned to shooting (and reloading) a few years ago after a long pause. I've been having fun tinkering on my motley collection of progressive re-loaders: A couple 366's , a couple Apex units and a MEC 9000 just refurbished.

But this weekend I wanted to work up an new 20 ga skeet load and didn't feel like doing a full reset on one of the progressives.

So I dug out and dusted off my 600 JR from 1982 that started me on my way. Set up was a no-brainier and I was soon pounding out some nice looking shells (we'll see how they shoot soon, I hope) .

It was a nice nostalgia moment, pulling the handle and slapping the charge bar back and forth. Just wanted to share..

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I have 3 progressives and I still use the single stage by far more than the progressives. Just enjoy taking my time. I do load 28 gauge on a progressive.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I still keep the old MEC 600 for hunting shells. No sense in changing all the adjustments on the MEC grabber to make one box of hunting loads.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
I have quite a number of different progressives including sub guages. But when volume is not a necessity, the Jr's are always called to active duty. In fact, I always load my 16,20,28 and 410's on the Jr's, the progressives just sit.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Great post. I’ve been reloading on MEC stuff for many years. I still have my original single stage from that time frame also, originally bought for dove loads.

I have a young grandson who is starting to shoot. I’m reloading for him now but soon I’m going to make him pump out his own shells. Not on my progressives. Single stage. The starting point.

My original reloader is a completely manual 16 ga. with hand tool to do each operation. Still have it. I think it is a Herters or Acme. Still have the 16 ga. dbl barrel fox savage also. Can’t remember when I shot the last dove or pheasant with it. By 1975 I was shooting 870’s and 1100’s and have not looked back.

Again great post. Has me thinking of some great times of the past.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I still keep the old MEC 600 for hunting shells. No sense in changing all the adjustments on the MEC grabber to make one box of hunting loads.
same here.. typically I am loading up a box or 2 at a time, and easy to change the 600 for different loads. I view that as my specialty load machine..

I use a 366 for "bulk production" of trap loads

·
Registered
830 Posts
I keep a Jr next to my 9000H when I need a deprimed or primed shell because of a FU. Also have a Jr for my short 10ga loads. And for the first time, always said I'd never do it, will be shooting a Rem pump in 410 . My Mec Jr is suppose to come today from Brownells. I must have called 5 different suppliers and no one had one in the 410ga. I wonder if Mec shut down, or just so many guys sitting home and ordered a bunch of them. A bunch of guys in shotgun have been buying 410s and are gonna start shooting them some kind of leagues with only the 410. I run the shotgun venue and we've never stopped shooting, so I kind of had to get something so I could shoot with them. I normally shoot just SxSs, but have a 12ga 870 for SCs pump gun Friday. A local gun store had a Rem Express in 410 so home it came and now the reloader. This aught a be fun. Back in the 70s I started with a Mec 310.

·
Registered
355 Posts
During this shut down I dusted off the 700 versamec that I learned to load on. Set it up for 2.5 inch skeet loads now.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I go back in time even further than that. I use a couple of older MEC 300/400 series loaders for loading my Federal papers. It is very relaxing and they crimp paper shells better than anything made today.
I buy and sell and rebuild several of them every year. Cheap fun and it keeps me away from the tavern.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have a progressive for 12 ga that is always set for trap loads.
But there seem to be 600 Jr's all over my shop - the tupperware and wire coat hanger versions of single stage shotgun reloaders. For short runs, short cartridges, special purpose stuff, teaching people handloading - hard to go wrong with them. My first shotgun loader is one of the old Lee kits for use with a rubber hammer. Those hand tools are VERY nice to have around to fix the screwups.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've been reloading for over 50 years. Started with Texan, then a 600 Jr, then Mec 650. All worked great at the time. 50 years later I have the following PW's 800plus, 900, 2-platinum 2000, 3 mec Jr's 12, 28 and 410. 800 plus set up for handicap, 1 platinum 2000 set up for 1oz singles and first shot doubles, 900 set up for game loads. Picked up the last 2000 from an estate sale. Quite a bit of lite rust and some pitting on outside of dies. Cleaned up well and functions great. I use the mec 12ga to work up any new loads then transfer to one of the PW's.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I used a mec 9000G for about 15 years. I found a used spolar and sold the mec along with all the bushing and bars. Soon after doing that, I stumbled across and a 600 jr in 20ga and 650 in 12ga for $50. I plan on using the 650 for game loads. I wish I had kept all those bushings and bars lol. oh well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts