Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was lucky to catch the tail end of Trapshooting's Glory Days. I miss those times. There were hundreds of small Gun Clubs dotting the landscape in those days and in the Midwest it seemed that every town big enough to have a water tower had a trap range! With so many Gun Clubs Closed and the money shoots all but gone now, my question is what were some of the by gone clubs and shoots that you used to enjoy? I think most would agree the "Old Grand" at Vandalia was one, but I'm sure there are many others.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Here in southern Il. there is a nice little area where you can shoot local 50 bird derbies 4 nights a week. All four clubs are with in 45 minutes of each other, and 3 out of 4 Sundays a month there's 100 bird shoots too, all for money. So I guess we're still in our glory days of trap shooting and gun clubs.

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
Did you have Industrial leagues where squads were formed at various companies and competed in leagues against each other? There were still some of those when I started, but I do not know of any that still exist.

·
Registered
10,041 Posts
I enjoyed shooting at the old Milwaukee gun club on the shores of Lake Michigan, now closed. The other night the local news reported that the nearby Cudahy gun club also on the shores of Lake Michigan is also ordered to close. Very sad situation on both counts.

If we had the #'s like golfers they would never have been able to shut either club down. It seems you just can not reason with the anti gun crowd. For some reason the anti gunners don't seem to have a problem accepting our checks from money earned from charitable shoots though.

Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
326 Posts
I feel fortunate being able to get two friends from work, who never shot formal trap, to join the ATA and start shooting on the weekends. There are a couple others interested too but the cost is holding them back. Our company is also sponsoring us at the breast cancer, wounded warrior, and PVA shoots. With so many companies being afraid of anything having to do with shooting, I feel really fortunate.

Gary B.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
I grew up with my Dad shooting at different small local clubs every Sunday. When we went to Keytesville, I had to be very careful, the clubhouse had plank board flooring and there was a knot hole close to where you paid for snacks/sodas, can't tell you how many coins I lost down that dark hole. The outhouse (no indoor plumbing here) also had wasps so this was another place to be very careful. If I could, I would go back in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Not ATA shooting but in the 1960's and 70's within less than a 45 minute drive from here, we had up to six, 1 trap clubs that were active in a league and/or held meet shoots.

You could be at a league or meet shoot virtually every weekend of the year..

It was great, I was in my late teens/early 20's in that time period and it seemed it would go on for ever.

The league folded in the late 70's.

One club site is under a motel and subdivision area, one just vanished into farmland, two are somewhat active but don't really do much outside of toss a few targets for the amusement of their membership.

Our old club (started in 1954) is still going and is having a bit of a recovery, the other remaining club is doing pretty well.

To use the old mountain man term, they were "shining times", sure was fun while it was going.

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here in southern Il. there is a nice little area where you can shoot local 50 bird derbies 4 nights a week. All four clubs are with in 45 minutes of each other, and 3 out of 4 Sundays a month there's 100 bird shoots too, all for money. So I guess we're still in our glory days of trap shooting and gun clubs.
Where in southern ILL. are they. When we were in western KY we used to shoot at Marion, Carbondale, Grayville, and McLeansboro . All gone now!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Slide action, a little bit farther north. Keysport, Sandoval, Gatch Lake and Highland, then there is also Rend lake. All about 45 minutes to a hour away from Sparta

·
Registered
298 Posts
I am from berks county pa. And we catch shoot every nite of the week and weekend. We still have an industrial league. And also a summer and winter League.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I grew up going to money shoots and meat shoots with my grandfather, now many years later he is gone and now I shoot trap but I cant find many money shoots around the columbus area and havent herd of any meat shoots in this area. I wish I could , always draws a great bunch of prople.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Back in the late 70's and early 80's, there were two small trap clubs in California's Trinity County, one in a little town called Weaverville, where I lived at the time (population 1700) and another one in the logging town of Hayfork (population less than 1700). These two clubs were about 45 minutes from each other right in the heart of the mountains. Every year at Thanksgiving, the Weaverville club would hold a turkey shoot at Cedar Stock resort on Trinity lake. Cliff Johannson, the owner, had an old Remington Blue Rock trap set up under the back veranda of the resort and we would shoot the targets from the porch over the lake. It was normal to draw 150 to 200 shooters to this shoot, almost all locals, coming in from many of the smaller surrounding mountain towns. It was almost like an old fashioned picnic festival. Families shooting, kids playing, with everyone just having a good time. This shoot went on for years until it was finally closed down due to EPA regs, etc. The Weaverville club still shoots to this day on a regular basis, still holding turkey shoots. The club in Hayfork also had an annual shoot called the "Mountain Shoot" held the first weekend of August and was shot in a place called the "Racetrack" on the top of South Fork Mountain near Ruth lake. Now, this was a real meat shoot! It usually started late Friday afternoon and ran until dark on Sunday, shooting 24 hours a day... There were generators set up to run the two traps, the lights, and the kitchen, which was manned at the time by the Hayfork volunteer fire department. The shoot was called the mountain shoot because the "BIG" event was a miss and out from a very high rock outcropping in the fir trees about 80 yards from the trap. The winner was awarded a custom made belt buckle, and held bragging rights as King of the Mountain for that year. This shoot, at its peak, would draw easily 300 shooter from as far away as Los Angeles, Medford, Oregon, and other places. This shoot shot, NON-STOP, for anywhere from 48-60 hours straight. It was a party from the start to the finish. I was in the trap repair business at the time and always kept a couple spare 1524 traps ready to go if needed. The Hayfork club still shoot to this day as well, and the mountain shoot is alive and well, though not held on the mountain anymore. The BLM shut it down due to EPA regs. The attendance has fallen dramatically, however, it is still being held.... Ahhh, the sweet smell of nostalgia (me sighing)

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
I remember the old Andy Griffith show had an event where he was trying to impress a woman with his skeet shooting skills and she turned out to be a champion skeet shooter. Can you imagine a shooting sport being the center skit on a sitcom these days?

·
Registered
729 Posts
I remember the old Andy Griffith show had an event where he was trying to impress a woman with his skeet shooting skills and she turned out to be a champion skeet shooter. Can you imagine a shooting sport being the center skit on a sitcom these days?
The woman in the Andy Griffth show was Gail Davis. Gail played Annie Oakley in the TV show of the same name.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts