Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 481 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I know what back boring is but is that related in any way to forcing cones?

·
Registered
597 Posts
A forcing cone is the area of transition between the chamber of the barrel and the bore. It is also the area of transition between the bore and the choke. Both are technically forcing cones

Back Boring is the opening of the barrels original ID which also affects choke performance.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I never mentioned felt recoil but that is exactly what I was aiming for because I was told that both back boring and/or lengthening the forcing cones was a way of reducing felt recoil. I'm going to post another subject about my recoil persuit. Thanks.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I disagree smokintom,

Removing and lengthening the forcing cones does reduce felt recoil. You are correct stating the original
concept of lengthened forcing was to reduce pellet deformation but the forcing cone alteration also reduces felt recoil.

The biggest reduction of recoil comes from increasing the inside diameter of the barrel through back-boring.

Eddie

·
Banned
715 Posts
But Eddie ? Wouldn't that be Over-Boring a barrel as Back Boring is when , just the area of where a choke tube is , is swedged-out to a larger diameter ?

·
Registered
597 Posts
3200-man-2, But Eddie ? Wouldn't that be Over-Boring a barrel as Back Boring is when , just the area of where a choke tube is , is swedged-out to a larger diameter ?

I've had three OU's, an auto and a SXS ( with dedicated chokes) back bored and their choke areas were never touched .

Can you explain what advantage or benefit that altering the choke tube area would produce?

Eddie

·
Registered
544 Posts
Opening just the area behind the choke for a few inches is normally called jug choking. Backboring without touching the choke area would increase the constriction of the choke by the amount of the backbore unless tapered backboring is used. I don't know if anyone is still doing that. Overboring is what manufacturers did to sell some sizzle on their new guns when backboring was the cure all for patterning, reducing recoil and various other claims. This resulted in the overall diameter of the barrels being larger and increasing the weight of the barrel sets as compared to that manufacturers pre-overbored barrels. Just compare a set of American Browning 325 32" barrels to the European non-overbored 32" barrels. I had a set of pre-overbored 32" barrels backbored .020" and they were lighter than the 28" overbored barrel set.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
So your saying take two identical guns. One with a standard forcing cone and one with a lengthened forcing cone firing identical shells that the one with the long forcing cone will kick less ??? Come to Ohio there`s a bridge down the road I would like to sell you.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
When you back bore a barrel or when you lengthen the forcing cone of a barrel you remove metal from the barrel.
When you remove metal from the barrel you reduce the weight of the gun. When you lower the weight of a gun
the recoil increases. You can't argue with recoil science. HMB

·
Registered
169 Posts
Lol! HMB, that was a good one. Thanks for the laugh!

·
Banned
715 Posts
If Over-sizing the bore of a shotgun wasn't beneficial , why are most all manufactures offering over standard bored barrels ? I read where Newton loves them ......:2angel:

1 - 20 of 481 Posts