Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,101 Posts
What do call that blue tripod deal that your pole is mounted to. I assume that it sets the hook when a fish bites? I live in Texas, so we don't have ice fishing down here. Just trying to learn something. Thanks, Charlie

Reactions: The Canuck

·
Registered
Perazzi TMS/Browning Citori XT
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
What do call that blue tripod deal that your pole is mounted to. I assume that it sets the hook when a fish bites? I live in Texas, so we don't have ice fishing down here. Just trying to learn something. Thanks, Charlie
It's called a jawjacker. Kind of works like a downrigger. Drop your bait down, load the rod up and set the line over the trigger operated release mechanism. When a fish strikes it pulls the trigger down which then allows the rod to spring upward with full force setting the hook. Works fantastic! You can sit in your ice tent windows closed and hear any rods set outside of the tent spring when they release.
Had another great day today...wife and I had 9 on and brought home 5, three rainbows and two brookies. Caught my PB Brookie to date. A 19"x12.5" that tipped the scale just 1oz shy of 4lbs! Not five minutes later I caught an 18" out of the same hole that tipped the scale at 3lbs-6oz. And the drive to the lake this morning was a real thrill ride. We saw 6 mule deer, a coyote sitting on top of a big round straw bale and 8 moose!!
Sky Snow Cloud Fish Fisherman
Sky Smile Cloud Fish Snow
Sky Vertebrate Car Snow Vehicle
Sky Cloud Plant Natural landscape Snow
Sky Snow Cloud Natural landscape Working animal
Cloud Sky Snow Natural landscape Tree
O

·
Banned
12,991 Posts
Wow. You've got it figured out. We know what you'll be eating for a good long time. You could hire out as a guide or start a fishing program for youth.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Wow. You've got it figured out. We know what you'll be eating for a good long time. You could hire out as a guide or start a fishing program for youth.
The lake we are fishing is very small and there weren't any good maps available. The gov't surveyed it in the 60's and there was a bathymetric map made and that is the map Navionics uses :rolleyes: so last summer I hauled my boat down to it since there is a decent enough launch to get my boat in there and used my Lowrance unit which has a live mapping feature and mapped the entire lake myself then downloaded and transferred the log files onto three SD cards via my laptop. I have one for all three fishfinder/chartplotters on my boat that way. I removed the bow fishfinder/chartplotter before Xmas and put it into a Lowrance portable pack and that gives me a unit with the map I made for ice fishing. I can locate the tiniest structure changes, weedbeds, transition areas or go to my saved waypoints etc to put me on good high percentage spots. I figure if you're spending the day fishing and all the money we spend on gear etc you might as well give yourself all the advantage you can....as for guiding? Maybe one day, we've talked a few times about moving to BC and operating a charter boat as a retirement gig...

Water Boat Watercraft Vehicle Lake

Water Cloud Sky Automotive tire Plant

Water Sky Boat Watercraft Vehicle

·
Banned
12,991 Posts
The lake we are fishing is very small and there weren't any good maps available. The gov't surveyed it in the 60's and there was a bathymetric map made and that is the map Navionics uses :rolleyes: so last summer I hauled my boat down to it since there is a decent enough launch to get my boat in there and used my Lowrance unit which has a live mapping feature and mapped the entire lake myself then downloaded and transferred the log files onto three SD cards via my laptop. I have one for all three fishfinder/chartplotters on my boat that way. I removed the bow fishfinder/chartplotter before Xmas and put it into a Lowrance portable pack and that gives me a unit with the map I made for ice fishing. I can locate the tiniest structure changes, weedbeds, transition areas or go to my saved waypoints etc to put me on good high percentage spots. I figure if you're spending the day fishing and all the money we spend on gear etc you might as well give yourself all the advantage you can....as for guiding? Maybe one day, we've talked a few times about moving to BC and operating a charter boat as a retirement gig...
My kind of detail. Nicely done ace!

·
Premium Member
20,101 Posts
Thanks Canuck for explaining the Jaw Jacker. I appreciate it. Got some nice fish there and a nice boat.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I can smell the smoked trout already :unsure:😋

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Picked up a few more for the smoker this weekend. My wife got her PB Brook Trout today just minutes before packing it in for the weekend. A real football of a Brookie only 16.5" long but a girthy 13.5" and pulling the lip grip scale to 3lb-8oz!

Glasses Hunting Smile Hat Fisherman
Smile Hunting Vertebrate Sky Snow
Vertebrate Fish Ray-finned fish Food Fish products
Oncorhynchus Terrestrial animal Snout Salmon-like fish Fish
Food Fish Fish products Ray-finned fish Recreation
Fish Ray-finned fish Fish products Animal product Salmon-like fish

21 - 34 of 34 Posts