Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
Perazzi TMS/Browning Citori XT
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been hearing reports of ice conditions being favorable but was waiting for the right winds to get after some trout before Christmas. The forecast showed favorable conditions for today so I headed out this morning. After arriving at the lake I pulled the auger and measure out of the truck and went for a walk drilling holes to the area I wanted to fish. After determining we had a good solid 12"-13" of clear black ice I headed back, grabbed the truck and drove it and the gear to my spot and set up. It took me a while to get my Lowrance Elite 7Ti displaying the map I made of the lake last summer but once it displayed I was able to see I was off the saddle I was looking for by about 5o feet so I reset everything and was limited out within an hour of moving...what a great way to kick off the season!! :)
These will be headed to the smoker for summer trapshooting treats!

Vertebrate Fisherman Fish Fishing Ray-finned fish
Glasses Smile Fish Cap Fisherman
Fin Salmon-like fish Seafood Fish Ray-finned fish
Sky Smile Bait Water Fisherman
Smile Sky Fisherman Fin Fish
Rectangle Fish Salmon-like fish Seafood Ray-finned fish
Smile Sky Vertebrate Fisherman Fin

Registered
I had been hearing reports of ice conditions being favorable but was waiting for the right winds to get after some trout before Christmas. The forecast showed favorable conditions for today so I headed out this morning. After arriving at the lake I pulled the auger and measure out of the truck and went for a walk drilling holes to the area I wanted to fish. After determining we had a good solid 12"-13" of clear black ice I headed back, grabbed the truck and drove it and the gear to my spot and set up. It took me a while to get my Lowrance Elite 7Ti displaying the map I made of the lake last summer but once it displayed I was able to see I was off the saddle I was looking for by about 5o feet so I reset everything and was limited out within an hour of moving...what a great way to kick off the season!! :)
These will be headed to the smoker for summer trapshooting treats!

View attachment 1780621 View attachment 1780622 View attachment 1780623 View attachment 1780624 View attachment 1780625 View attachment 1780626 View attachment 1780627
Very nice job!! 馃憤馃憤馃憤馃憤馃憤

Registered
Jigging? Bait/tip up?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jigging? Bait/tip up?
Caught one brookie on a 1/16oz Northland minnow jig with a dead pinhead shiner under a jigging Jawjacker running the saw tooth wheel 2' from bottom and the others came on a 1/16oz VMC Tungsten Bullfly jig with a 1/2 mealworm deadsticked under a stationary Jawjacker 18" from bottom in 10' of water as well.

Registered
How about showing those rigs
Never give away ALL your secrets.

You know what鈥檚 funny? Going down to a lake to kill time. Go to an open spot on the bank and rig up the exact same way you have done for years. Right away catch a fish. And another. And another. People on either side start casting toward where they see your rig drop in. But they get nothing. Then when you鈥檝e caught a limit and pull up to leave the others can鈥檛 get to where you sat quick enough. You laugh because you鈥檝e seen the lake drained and know the structure is the same around the entire inlet. Flat bottom. Not even a hump. So you fish anywhere around it and catch fish. It鈥檚 your rigging and presentation that catches the fish. Not the spot. Hehehehehe.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Never give away ALL your secrets.

You know what鈥檚 funny? Going down to a lake to kill time. Go to an open spot on the bank and rig up the exact same way you have done for years. Right away catch a fish. And another. And another. People on either side start casting toward where they see your rig drop in. But they get nothing. Then when you鈥檝e caught a limit and pull up to leave the others can鈥檛 get to where you sat quick enough. You laugh because you鈥檝e seen the lake drained and know the structure is the same around the entire inlet. Flat bottom. Not even a hump. So you fish anywhere around it and catch fish. It鈥檚 your rigging and presentation that catches the fish. Not the spot. Hehehehehe.
Yes I pulled up yesterday to leave and as I was packing up my ice tent and gear another guy and his kid fishing 50 yards away couldn't get to where I was fast enough....he said he was seeing fish on his underwater camera where he was but they weren't biting. I looked at his rigs as he was setting up in the holes I had drilled and thought to myself "oh boy". I'd bet he ended up skunked....lol

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I switched part way last season to baitcasting rigs from spinning. I run 36" medium action rods with 15# braided line and to that I attach a 3'-4' leader of Trilene XL mono in green colour. It disappears from view in the clear slightly green tinted waters we have here. They have a much smoother drag and your line doesn't suffer memory issues in the cold causing tangles, too much free slack etc....
Vertebrate Fish Fence Salmon-like fish Fin

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i would love to see 12 inches of ice in lower michigan were lucky to get 5 inches
We are expecting another week long plus cold snap. At -20C with very little snow cover on the ice it will make about 1.5" of ice per day. By new years we will probably have 20"+ if we get the predicted temps. Last year we had about 15" of ice in early January. We got a 10 day cold snap with temps running -30C to -37C and by the time it broke and I was able to get out again we had 34" of ice. My power auger would just make it through with an inch or two to spare. I bought an extension but never did need it. We never ended up making more ice but stayed at 34" until the end of season and very little snow so it was awesome. We could drive the truck into the back lakes as the old logging roads were not snowed in. It allowed us to fish some of our favorite northern pike lakes. I much prefer a heated truck ride down the lake to a frozen snowmobile ride. There is 34" of ice under us in these pics of my favorite trap shooting squad mate. She's a pretty good fisherman too! 馃槈 :)

Sky Camouflage Cargo pants Military camouflage Hunting
Vertebrate Fisherman Smile Sky Fish
Glasses Vertebrate Sky Smile Fisherman
Crocodile Carnivore Fisherman Smile Wildlife biologist
Sky Water Sleeve Fish Fisherman

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Took a few pics of the jigs I am running for stocked trout.....as in fly fishing I strive to match the hatch. The lakes I fish trout in winter are teeming with small bait in the form of freshwater shrimp(scuds), stickleback minnows and various other water bugs like water boatmen. I find if I stick to bait and presentations that mimic that feed I catch trout in these lakes that most anglers around here claim "the fish don't bite". Well they don't grow to the size they do in such a short span of time by not feeding!!

Publication Gadget Material property Electronic device Technology
Natural material Body jewelry Creative arts Jewellery Composite material
Wood Hand tool Writing implement Office supplies Automotive tire

1 - 20 of 33 Posts