Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When compiling averages for classification purposes, how far back do you go?

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
per the rulebook?

http://www.shootata.com/Portals/0/pdf/average-card-instructions.pdf

current year targets only. but,

For better classification of shooters it is suggested that the following
method be used.
a.
If the shooter has less than 500 targets on current year’s Average Card,
use the previous year average and known ability.
b.
If the shooter has between 500 and 1,000 targets (inclusive) on his/her
current year’s Average Card, use the current average and known ability
or the previous year’s average and known ability, whichever is higher.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't find this in my rule book. But let's see if I have this right. A shooter has only 300 singles targets in the 2015 target year with a 90% avg. So, you go back to 2014 where the shooter has 2,500 targets with a 95.84% avg. What class would the shooter be in?

·
Registered
22,829 Posts
I can't find this in my rule book. But let's see if I have this right. A shooter has only 300 singles targets in the 2015 target year with a 90% avg. So, you go back to 2014 where the shooter has 2,500 targets with a 95.84% avg. What class would the shooter be in?
Known ability says he is going to shoot in class A. Those 300 targets in the current target year are irrelevant in comparison to those 2500 from last year. Unless that shooter has had a KNOWN physical problem come up in the interim then he will have to shoot enough new targets in the current year to drop that average.

C. CLASSIFICATION

1. For 16-yard targets and Doubles, shooters should be placed in three (3) or more classes, according to their established average and/or known ability. A new shooter may be assigned to any class in 16-yards and Doubles events, at the discretion of classification personnel until the shooter establishes his/her known ability.

a. To arrive at known ability the following should be taken into consideration as far as such information is or can be made available:

(1) Official registered targets (abnormally low scores should be disregarded). Averages of all registered shooters are compiled 19

and published annually.

(2) Non-registered scores including Shoot-off scores, non- registered events, practice scores, etc.

(3) Any other information bearing on a shooter’s ability to shoot and break targets.

Pages 18 and 19 in the current rulebook.

Don T

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My thought too - wonder why he was Class D winner.

·
Registered
22,829 Posts
In addition to the above there is this;

5. For better classification of shooters it is suggested that the following method be used.

a. If the shooter has less than 500 targets on current year’s Average Card, use the previous year average and known ability.

b. If the shooter has between 500 and 1,000 targets (inclusive) on his/her current year’s Average Card, use the current average and known ability or the previous year’s average and known ability, whichever is higher.

Because classification personnel aren't perfect and may not have been shown his average card and instead used those 300 targets average as is shown on the 3S software when they pull his number up on the computer. If that was the case ( and I don't KNOW it was ) then the following rule needs to be applied;

F. RECORDING SCORES, WINS AND TIES

1. All 16 yard, Handicap and Doubles scores are required to be accurately and legibly entered on each member’s Average Card in the spaces provided at the completion of each registered and/or tournament event.13

2. It is the duty of each ATA member to record all wins and ties in 16 yard and Doubles events on his/her Average Card. The intent of this rule is to properly inform classification and handicap committees of prior wins and ties in 16 Yard and Doubles events.

Failure of any member to strictly comply with these rules may lead to penalty classification, disqualification and/or suspension from membership in the ATA.

Don T

·
Registered
22,829 Posts

And this;

C. RULES OF CONDUCT OF AN ATA SHOOTER

Each member will be furnished a copy of these Official Trapshooting Rules, and it is assumed that the member will read and understand each rule. Members are strongly encouraged to know these Rules and abide by them for their own benefit and for the benefit of other shooters.

1. By entering the competition, every contestant agrees to accept all official decisions and to abide by these Rules.

2. It is the responsibility of all shooters to see that they are handicapped and classified properly in accordance with these Rules and/or the official program. Any errors made by the classification committee and/or the shooter must be corrected before shooting or the shooter may be subject to disqualification and may be subject to further disciplinary action.

3. When making entry at any registered shoot, shooters should produce their plastic identification card and Average Card so that names, addresses, and membership numbers are properly noted and errors in record keeping are prevented. Shooters not having a plastic card should always list their ATA number, entire name and address on entry forms.

4. The Average Card is intended to provide classification personnel at registered shoots with current data on a member’s shooting ability. Shooters not having their Average Cards up to date may be put in a higher class or otherwise penalized. Failure to accurately record scores, or the falsification of scores, can lead to disciplinary action including suspension from the ATA.

5. Any member who:

Submits false information for any reason to a participating club, ATA, or shoot management; or

Who causes false scores or other information to be recorded; or8

Who commits an act of theft; or

Who commits acts which result in artificially low scores; or

Who encourages or assists others in such acts is subject to disciplinary action.

Don T

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
I just don't understand why a big ol' laminated sign doesn't sit on every classification station that says the same things.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I don't understand why we even have average cards you should supply your ATA number punch it in a computer or smart phone to find the info you need to classify....since classification seems to be so hard for homeboys every shooter in the ATA shooter information center should have a "minimum class" for singles and doubles posted beside their name determined by someone who knows the rules, and you should not be moved to a lower class until you have a 1000 target review just like handicap JMHO.Jerry

·
Registered
899 Posts
I classified at a shoot a few weeks ago. I hadn't done that in over 10 years. I was asking for their average cards and a lot of the guys acted like they didn't know what I was asking for.

Jdsfarms, the issue with your idea is that many small clubs don't have the updated ATA averages in their computers. Also the ATA data is at least 2-3 weeks behind.

Hunter44, the issue being discussed is classification so it's either 16 or Dbls. Penalty yardage doesn't come into play.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
With only 300 targets registered this year shouldn't the shooter be shooting penalty yardage anyway?
For this discussion, I assume you meant penalty class. Target requirements are at least 500 current year and 1000 current and last year combined, or they will shoot no lower than A, but known ability can move them up.

Handicap is 500/1500, or you shoot penalty 23, again known ability can move you back.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
For this discussion, I assume you meant penalty class. Target requirements are at least 500 current year and 1000 current and last year combined, or they will shoot no lower than A, but known ability can move them up.
I did mean penalty class..........& I still wonder why he wasn't moved up in class due to lack of targets.

·
Banned
818 Posts
Yac,
The shooter you described should of been in "A" or no less than "B" based on the combination of averages you gave ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Hey Don T,

The recording of wins or ties is no longer a requirement as spelled out on the ATA web page

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Tom, your right the ATA averages are not updated but neither are most shooters cards especially those who would knowingly shoot a lower class than they should...putting a minimum class on the shooter would still help in this case it would of been "A" on the info given.Jerry

·
Registered
22,829 Posts
Hey Don T,

The recording of wins or ties is no longer a requirement as spelled out on the ATA web page
Link please. That came straight from the current issue of the rulebook.

Don T

1 - 20 of 82 Posts