Trapshooters Forum banner
141 - 160 of 166 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
I only shoot break opens & when I’m not on post one my action is open, round chambered with its muzzle on a barrel pad. After the shooter on my left has fired I’ll raise my gun, my left hand grasps the forearm & closes the action. My trigger finger resting against the trigger guard moves to the trigger once my gun is shouldered. If I should miss I throw the hull to the ground mutter a few choice expletives which usually launches the next shooters target for him. How considerate can you get? LOL! Actually up until I place my finger on the trigger & fire is my routine

·
Registered
58 Posts
This is ridiculous. Simple etiquette should not be so uncommon. All of this poppycock of banning automatics to make the range a better place. Seriously? A serious pet peeve of mine is lazy over-under shooters who catch empties and then toss them on the ground to be picked up later. You had them in your hands, then instead of using a catch bag and being tidy, you throw them on the ground making more work for later?

My routine is as follows. When the shooter to my immediate left takes his shot, I load and close my action so the voice callers are not activated by the action closing. Once he is finished, I mount my gun, call for the target and shoot. My o-ring has been removed so my gun is now a single shot and no worries about ejecting spent hulls on my neighbor. I then dismount and open the action, and carry on. What is so bloody hard about that?

Oh, and I have shot with superb fellows (one of which owns a newish Krieghoff) and I have never once been approached and asked about a shell catcher. I happen to not like extra stuff attached to my guns, so I would rather make a simple internal change rather than something external for me to snag on. Plus I do not want to take chances on scratching my own guns. That’s just me. However, I am still considerate enough to do something to ameliorate the situation. Why all this long drawn out thread on something that should be so bloody simple? Are we as a people this uncouth and thoughtless? Shameful.

·
Registered
11,616 Posts
OK two shooters over then after you've chambered your round how do you hold your gun? Where is the muzzle pointed? Is your barrel in motion as the shooter next to you is setting up to call?
My barrel is never raised as to interfere with the adjacent shooter ( actually the rules prohibit that). After I shoot and I have cleared the spent shell , I put the gun on the pad ( or toe pad if no pad available) I keep the action open and only raise the gun almost parallel to the ground but muzzle down until the shooter two spaces over brings the gun into action. Then I load and close the action timed to prevent it's closing from setting off a target from the house.

·
Registered
72 Posts
While I love 1100's and own one, they are NOT the original Trap or Skeet gun. Both games were being shot long before the 1100 was introduced in 1963. :unsure:

I can't think of any shooter that doesn't mind hulls flying at them, and this is coming from a guy who has experienced 7.62 brass and links raining on him from MG positions to his left. NOBODY likes being pelted with hulls, and when your gun has wood on it worth far more than the gun that's pelting it, I understand why people get upset when it happens.
You are right since trap and skeet have been around for so many years. But the 1100 came out and immediately took the trap and skeet world by storm. Google the professional shoots in the 60's and on up. ALL the professional shooters were shooting the 1100 well into the 80's and 90's. You go to my club and everyone is shooting A Browning, Beretta or Any of a number of over under shotguns. But almost every member has a 1100 as a backup. The A400 is really popular now and the 300 series as well for the youngsters shooting in school clubs. Usually after the first time they see one of old guys using a shell catcher, they get one themselves. Those youngsters in these clubs are by in large more courteous and polite than people their age. I worked with kids for over 30 years and I see how they act. Mostly, just like we did at that age!

No, I don't like the idea of throwing hulls at people, I think it is very rude and inconsiderate to your fellow shooter. I always use a shell catcher on my 391 and my 1100 has a trap barrel that kick them down and towards the front a little. Take that catcher off ANY Beretta auto and it will fling hulls two lanes or more over! Not going to do that under any circumstance.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My barrel is never raised as to interfere with the adjacent shooter ( actually the rules prohibit that). After I shoot and I have cleared the spent shell , I put the gun on the pad ( or toe pad if no pad available) I keep the action open and only raise the gun almost parallel to the ground but muzzle down until the shooter two spaces over brings the gun into action. Then I load and close the action timed to prevent it's closing from setting off a target from the house.
That is exactly the way I do it when I am using a auto (Used one for the first time in awhile this last week and got spanked bad!). The trick about the loading of the gun is something that we have been teaching the new shooters and school club shooter coming to our range to practice. I am not comfortable with dropping a shell directly into the chamber while it is on the pad. Just seems like to much of a chance for something to go wrong. When it closes, maybe the extractor breaks? Maybe the shell slides out while your loading and it gets in a bind? This happens to to the people just starting out a lot. In practice or tournament, I see a kid drop stop the rotation because of a hung shell or something. I bring my gun vertical as the person to my left preps to fire and drop a shell into the receiver then as soon as they fire, under 5 seconds, let the bolt go forward to keep the thrower from throwing on the sound of the bolt closing. Sometimes turn a little to the right if I get out of sequence. We have a few instructors in our club and I have asked this several times. they are the ones that taught me about the thrower delay!

I know it is not perfect, but it works for me and the people I shoot with. A vertical barrel, on the off side of the shooter to you left, should not interfere with their shot. But if anyone has suggestions or a better way to do it, I am all ears because safety is Paramount and second is the courtesy and respect you shop to the other shooters.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
gitarope!

·
Registered
11,616 Posts
You are right since trap and skeet have been around for so many years. But the 1100 came out and immediately took the trap and skeet world by storm. Google the professional shoots in the 60's and on up. ALL the professional shooters were shooting the 1100 well into the 80's and 90's. You go to my club and everyone is shooting A Browning, Beretta or Any of a number of over under shotguns. But almost every member has a 1100 as a backup. The A400 is really popular now and the 300 series as well for the youngsters shooting in school clubs. Usually after the first time they see one of old guys using a shell catcher, they get one themselves. Those youngsters in these clubs are by in large more courteous and polite than people their age. I worked with kids for over 30 years and I see how they act. Mostly, just like we did at that age!

No, I don't like the idea of throwing hulls at people, I think it is very rude and inconsiderate to your fellow shooter. I always use a shell catcher on my 391 and my 1100 has a trap barrel that kick them down and towards the front a little. Take that catcher off ANY Beretta auto and it will fling hulls two lanes or more over! Not going to do that under any circumstance.
The 1100 was King of the Hill for several years but ,it wasn't the first semi auto to find it's way to the trap Range . High Standard produced the Super trap model, and Remington produced the Model 58 before the 1100 came along. Even before THAT there were guns like the Remington Model 11 which had some produced as trap models. As for the knock down pin for the 1100 and 391. Tron makes both. I have one of his on a 391 and it throws the empties just forward of my right foot.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I still shoot an 1100 when shooting in wet weather plus its easier on my arthritic shoulder. Years ago I was told if you take the O-ring off the magazine tube the self cocking and the ejection function will not happen allowing you to open the bolt manually. Shooting an LT-20 for which there is no shell catcher available due to its larger receiver cut out I take my son along and bounce them off of him!! FWIW

·
Registered
72 Posts
The 1100 was King of the Hill for several years but ,it wasn't the first semi auto to find it's way to the trap Range . High Standard produced the Super trap model, and Remington produced the Model 58 before the 1100 came along. Even before THAT there were guns like the Remington Model 11 which had some produced as trap models. As for the knock down pin for the 1100 and 391. Tron makes both. I have one of his on a 391 and it throws the empties just forward of my right foot.
Your completely right and don't forget the A5 ad all it's offshoots. The auto has been a force in trap and skeet for a long time but the O/U more or less holds the king of the hill title. But I see more and more old and new shooters going back to the BT 99 and SKB Century guns. I would really like to run across a good trade on one.

Let me ask you, I don't know this man Tron. Do you send the barrel to him to have that knockdown pin installed and could he install a mid bead at the same time? That is my only gripe about my 391 Teknys.

Just been setting a reloading today as it hasn't hardly got above 30 today, Two days ago it was almost 90 degrees! You gotta love Oklahoma weather, If you don't, wait a minute and it will change!

·
Registered
11,616 Posts
Your completely right and don't forget the A5 ad all it's offshoots. The auto has been a force in trap and skeet for a long time but the O/U more or less holds the king of the hill title. But I see more and more old and new shooters going back to the BT 99 and SKB Century guns. I would really like to run across a good trade on one.

Let me ask you, I don't know this man Tron. Do you send the barrel to him to have that knockdown pin installed and could he install a mid bead at the same time? That is my only gripe about my 391 Teknys.

Just been setting a reloading today as it hasn't hardly got above 30 today, Two days ago it was almost 90 degrees! You gotta love Oklahoma weather, If you don't, wait a minute and it will change!
Joe could do both and he does great work Look him up at Tron Space Gun Works.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
We say the same thing about the weather in Minnesota, but come on man, 30 is a heatwave!

·
Premium Member
6,833 Posts

I believe Tron told me that he's no longer doing the knockdown buds on Berettas.

I do know that Phillips Gunsmithing still offers the service. He will also install a mid bead.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
.We tend to approach semi users and "politely suggest" the use of a rubber band.- until such time as they can get a shell catcher.

Diplomacy diplomacy, courtesy on the field, etc.

<smirk>

·
Registered
11,616 Posts
.We tend to approach semi users and "politely suggest" the use of a rubber band.- until such time as they can get a shell catcher.

Diplomacy diplomacy, courtesy on the field, etc.

<smirk>
I think the knock down pin would be better and it won't break but I agree that it is a quick fix if someone doesn't have a catcher OR knock down pin on their semi auto. But you can't shoot doubles with a semi auto with a "rubber band" on it. There is nothing in the rules that says anything about a shell catcher---From the rule book-- ..All guns used by contestants must be equipped, fitted and utilized so as not to eject empty shells in a manner that substantially disturbs or interferes with other contestants. -- So it states shells must be ejected in a way as not to disturb other shooters i.e. throwing hulls at them. A knock down pin will do that. I have one of Tron's on a 391 and it pitches the hulls about 2 ft. forward of my right foot. I fully agree that it is best to approach a shooter that has a semi auto that is NOT modified to keep the hulls from flying over to the next post. I carry a couple of wrist bands and a shell catcher for 1100s and 391s in my bag . If we are not shooting doubles and somebody is being pelted I offer them the use of one of them. I think you are correct about diplomacy .

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was that kid years ago. I didn’t know any better at the time, didn’t have anybody teaching me the rules and had a shell hit the guys gun next to me which I knew was an expensive gun and I felt so bad. But he very calmly came over to me after the round and handed me a rubber band. I said I’m so sorry and he just said don’t worry about it and keep shooting the way you are. Shot a 98 out of 100 that day. But I also learned a valuable lesson and the guy was nice enough to inform me. Never forgot that day.

141 - 160 of 166 Posts