Trapshooters Forum banner
121 - 140 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
11,616 Posts
Slide Action, the deflector you are describing is what I’ve always heard called a “knock down pin”. A few years ago, I was the tournament director at a satellite Grand. I was asked for an opinion about these things. In my view they meet both the spirit and the letter of the ATA rule. They work well.
Glad there are few like you who actually KNOW and UNDERSTAND the rules ! Wish there were more like you . A lot of people want to either MAKE UP their own rules or TWIST the rules meaning by adding words and requirements that are NOT in there !

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I stand by what I said, and if I am going to get a new shooter started with whatever type of gun he has, I do not shoot with him. If he has an auto and wants to shoot trap, I make sure he understands that hitting another shooter or his gear with empties is not funny, and inform him the of the options of a rubber band or shell catcher.

I have one auto, a 20 ga 391 Sporter. Although I do not care for autos, with a #65 stock drop shim set, it fits so well I cannot bring myself to let it go. I shoot it about once a year on the Sporting course. Usually shoot it by myself, to avoid hitting other shooters or their guns.
Do as I say, not as I do?
There is a T&S shell catcher for the 391, about $15-20 bucks. You'd be able to shoot anytime you want then.
Wait, you said Sporting? The other shooters should be standing behind you..... :unsure:

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Do as I say, not as I do?
There is a T&S shell catcher for the 391, about $15-20 bucks. You'd be able to shoot anytime you want then.
Wait, you said Sporting? The other shooters should be standing behind you..... :unsure:
Curious? Does it fit a 20 ga. 391? T&S made a shell catcher for the 12 ga. Browning Gold. It does not fit the 20 ga. I know I've tried it on both of mine. It works fantastic on the 12 ga., but not on the 20.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I think banning arrogant uninformed people who Instead of" knowing" and applying the RULES in a practical manner that is workable , want to MAKE UP their own because they have a haughty elitist attitude would do the sport a much better favor !
Agreed but I don't think the ATA rule book will ban people, it just bans the autos that they might want to desecrate the trap field with.

·
Registered
11,616 Posts
Agreed but I don't think the ATA rule book will ban people, it just bans the autos that they might want to desecrate the trap field with.
I don't think you will see the ATA ever ban semi autos. It doesn't now and it is not going to. The semi -auto haters may WANT it to but that is wishful thinking ,and it's not going to happen. Semi-autos have been around for over 120 years and everybody from Hall of Famers Roola Hikes to Leo Harrison have used them. . The rules in place make it clear that hitting someone with hulls is not acceptable . Semi-autos must be equipped in a manner to prevent that . That requirement will not go away but Semi-Autos won't go away either.

·
Registered
34,380 Posts
Reactions: charleyj10

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
MarkC85 wrote "Curious? Does it fit a 20 ga. 391? T&S made a shell catcher for the 12 ga. Browning Gold. It does not fit the 20 ga. I know I've tried it on both of mine. It works fantastic on the 12 ga., but not on the 20."

A little secret, don't tell anyone. A T&S shell catcher for a 12 ga 303 fits the 391 20 ga. Before you rob the bank to buy one, see if you can borrow one to see for yourself.

Pat

·
Registered
34,380 Posts
They've been banned for years. Pretty sure it was the same year that they banned closing your gun before it was your turn due to the numerous safety issues.
Release triggers are banned from ATA ? Good to know. I did not know also that closing guns before it was one’s turn to shoot was also banned, it goes on all the time at trap shoots as well as some who mount their gun while the shooter to their left is calling for their bird. I need to research the ATA rule book to make myself familiar with these bans.

·
Registered
46 Posts
We have a good number of intermediate (middle school) SCTP shooters using Remington, Beretta, and Weatherby gas operated semis for the lower recoil (and the stock adjustability with the A300 outlander).

Our teams first SCTP shoot is always the second weekend on January, our team rule is they have to have a shell catcher on by the two practices before the first SCTP shoot or they don't go. Early in our pre-season the first year intermediates are normally showing up with whatever shotgun their family has and we have to steer them to something that fits. We don't make them put on a shell catcher during the pre-season because there is still a lot of gun switching going on while they find something that fits.

By high school varsity most are shooting OU.

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
O/U or break action gun issues mentioned are the result of bad manners or lack of knowing the etiquette expected on the line. Cant speak to release triggers as some cant participate very well without one. If the report or recoil bothers one too much theres always Golf. What I can speak to is that while autos are tolerated & they should be, I dont know anybody including me that likes shooting next to one. Somethings like a flinch or bad move resulting in a lost target living with "jammamatics" comes with the territory.

·
Registered
11,616 Posts
They've been banned for years. Pretty sure it was the same year that they banned closing your gun before it was your turn due to the numerous safety issues.
Now I think you might be using a tad of sarcasm. Most know that the "only" place in trap shooting that release triggers are "banned" is BUNKER TRAP , not ATA . Release triggers ( although I don't like them) have always been legal in ATA events. As far as not loading the gun until it is your turn to shoot , just in case someone might believe the false info about closing the gun before it is their turn to shoot, I will post the rule regarding it straight from the ATA rule book ----12.A contestant shall place a live shell in his/her gun only WHEN ON A POST FACING THE TRAPS In Singles and Handicap shooting, he/she may place only one (1) live shell in his/her gun at a time and must remove it or the empty shell(s) before moving FROM ONE POST TO ANOTHER . In Doubles shooting, HE/SHE MAY PLACE TWO (2) LIVE SHELLS IN HIS/HER GUN AT A TIME AND MUST REMOVE BOTH LIVE OR EMPTY SHELLS BEFORE MOVING FROM ONE (1)) POST TO ANOTHER, it is highly recommended that the shooter shall not walk in front of the other competitors."---------------------- As people can see there is nothing in the rules that states you have to WAIT for the shooter in front of you to shoot. ( in other words waiting until it is your turn to shoot. )I personally would like that to be a rule but ,the truth is a shooter may load their gun at any time as long as they are "on the line ,in position. and facing the trap. They MAY NOT have a live shell in their gun before that or when they are changing post but the waiting until it is your turn to shoot IS NOT in there.

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
12.A contestant shall place a live shell in his/her gun only WHEN ON A POST FACING THE TRAPS In Singles and Handicap shooting, he/she may place only one (1) live shell in his/her gun at a time and must remove it or the empty shell(s) before moving FROM ONE POST TO ANOTHER . In Doubles shooting, HE/SHE MAY PLACE TWO (2) LIVE SHELLS IN HIS/HER GUN AT A TIME AND MUST REMOVE BOTH LIVE OR EMPTY SHELLS BEFORE MOVING FROM ONE (1)) POST TO ANOTHER, it is highly recommended that the shooter shall not walk in front of the other competitors."---------------------- As people can see there is nothing in the rules that states you have to WAIT for the shooter in front of you to shoot. ( in other words waiting until it is your turn to shoot. )I personally would like that to be a rule but ,the truth is a shooter may load their gun at any time as long as they are "on the line ,in position. and facing the trap. They MAY NOT have a live shell in their gun before that or when they are changing post but the waiting until it is your turn to shoot IS NOT in there.
My point was directed towards those that snap their action closed & those that begin to mount their gun while the post to their left is calling or preparing to call for a target. For the auto loader its the shooter that brings their muzzle up & releases the bolt to camber a round before the previous shooter fires. Both are (distracting).
Most already knew it is OK to have a shell chambered in a break action while waiting their turn. The main rule that applies is called courtesy something all of us should have a working knowledge of.

·
Registered
11,616 Posts
My point was directed towards those that snap their action closed & those that begin to mount their gun while the post to their left is calling or preparing to call for a target. For the auto loader its the shooter that brings their muzzle up & releases the bolt to camber a round before the previous shooter fires. Both are (distracting).
Most already knew it is OK to have a shell chambered in a break action while waiting their turn. The main rule that applies is called courtesy something all of us should have a working knowledge of.
Agreed but that was not what hbar314 posted and my reply was to his ,not in response to yours. hbar314 indicated that the rules did not allow closing the gun before it was your turn to shoot ,which is incorrect. people who close the action of their guns ( no matter if is break open , pump, or semi-auto) next to the microphone can ,in fact ,set off the speaker. I shoot all types and I try and time closing the gun a split second after the shooter 2 spots over calls for the target which is just after their shot. This prevents me from triggering the trap inadvertently .You can chamber a round in ANY gun ( not just a break open type ) anytime while waiting to shoot as long as you are on station facing the trap.

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Agreed but that was not what hbar314 posted and my reply was to his ,not in response to yours. hbar314 indicated that the rules did not allow closing the gun before it was your turn to shoot ,which is incorrect. people who close the action of their guns ( no matter if is break open , pump, or semi-auto) next to the microphone can ,in fact ,set off the speaker. I shoot all types and I try and time closing the gun a split second after the shooter 2 spots over calls for the target which is just after their shot. This prevents me from triggering the trap inadvertently .You can chamber a round in ANY gun ( not just a break open type ) anytime while waiting to shoot as long as you are on station facing the trap.
OK two shooters over then after you've chambered your round how do you hold your gun? Where is the muzzle pointed? Is your barrel in motion as the shooter next to you is setting up to call?

·
Registered
34,380 Posts
OK two shooters over then after you've chambered your round how do you hold your gun? Where is the muzzle pointed? Is your barrel in motion as the shooter next to you is setting up to call?

While waiting for Slide Action to give you your answer, let me give you mine. I shoot break opens, pumps and semi autos. With the semis and pumps, I always hold the gun, while on the line, barrel parallel to the ground slightly raised above the trap house.

I can hold the gun that way, with one hand while putting a shell in the chamber. I put a new shell in the chamber after I have shot. I close the chamber when the shooter to my left fires his gun.

If shooting lead off on post 1, I close the action on a semi by holding the bolt and closing it instead of letting it slam home, least it set off the trap. With a pump, on lead off, I hold the gun high, still point down range and close the action.

When I am not standing on the line, walking between posts, from my car, to my car, to or from the gun rack, barrel is straight up above head level.
It’s not that hard.

121 - 140 of 166 Posts